Acupuncture

turtle
turtle Member Posts: 30
edited 4. Sep 2018, 02:45 in Say Hello Archive
I am thinking of trying acupuncture. Has anyone found it helpful?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    In my experience those who swear by either don't have arthritis or like to think they do because their joints twinge every now and again. Before I knew what was wrong I tried it for six months back in 1999 and it achieved nothing, the inflammation continued and the pain increased because it did not affect either my immune system or replace destroyed cartilage, and never could. I think the placebo effect may be a factor with those who claim success but try telling them that . . . .

If you can find a reasonably priced practitioner then give it a whirl, you may find that any short-term relief it offers is a benefit worth the cost. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It works for some and not for others. I have tried it(but not for arthritis related issues), and my daughter did for pain following a car accident. We had differing experiences, but both found it useful.
    Are you doing this privately(perhaps as a more holistic approach to your health) or as part of an NHS pain management scheme? The NHS version tends to be a 'one size fits all' 6 sessions type approach which is rather at odds with the holistic approach of the traditional practice and may mean patients don't feel any benefit, or may possibly have unexpected effects.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I forgot to say that if you post this question in 'Living with arthritis' you might get more answers as more people look on there.