Immune system confusion

Options
jennand
jennand Member Posts: 131
edited 4. Oct 2018, 09:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
As we all know, our medication suppresses our immune systems. A couple of years ago I went through a whole year of frequent sinus infections which all eventually required antibiotics. This was resolved by cutting my leflunomide from 20 to 10 mg. 5 months ago, Erelzi was added to the mix and WHAM, I’ve just had 5 weeks of cough, chest tightness and the inevitable sinusitis. On my 3rd day of ABs now and beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now I don’t really want to reduce any meds so I’m thinking of alternative protective measures. I already do the constant hand washing and avoidance techniques but wondered what others do? I’m unsure whether alternative medicines ( like echinacea, garlic etc) would have a detrimental effect on my immune system as obviously we have to work in reverse to everybody else in that our immune systems are already in overdrive, & not in a good way. Feel free to share your coping strategies with me.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    At the first sign of infection I stop the meds. This is on the advice of my hospital and I feel does not compromise the treatment of my PsA in any way. There is often a three month gap between stopping one med and starting another, this is the amount of time they can take to fully clear the system so a couple of weeks is neither here nor there. I enjoy having anti-bios (if things have reached such a pitch) as I always feel generally better on them despite being properly ill, I think I am right in saying that in some places they were used to treat auto-immune arthritis. One problem we immuno-suppressed have is we do not produce symptoms as quickly so infections can get a hold before we are aware we are poorly.

My Ma never understood how boosting my immune system would make the arthritis worse, in her healthy world the immune system was a healer, not an attacker. She was very keen on feeding me zinc tablets - defend me from amateurs, oh Lord.

I am coughing a little more today than I was yesterday. I did my humira on Tuesday and started coughing yesterday, not a lot and not often but I am now monitoring my temperature as I am due to meth on Saturday: whether I will remains to be seen. I didn't take it last Saturday due to having my 'flu jab but I am not unduly worried about missing another week: sixteen years' experience comes in handy at times. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben