Hydroxy eyes

ted48
ted48 Member Posts: 16
edited 10. Oct 2018, 03:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their eyes when taking Hydroxy. I saw the Consultant last July and mentioned that my seems to have got worse in the last few months he wrote a letter to refer me to see a hospital ophthalmologist but I heard nothing. The nurse yesterday phoned his secretary to chase it up. I have heard that taking this medication can cause eye problems. I would like to know others experience taking this medication.

Comments

• jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ted, the side effects list an increased risk of Age related macular degeneration if used for more than 5 years. I was really concerned when I started taking it as I also have an extremely strong family history of AMD. I’ve been on it for 5 years now and have had some eye problems but not related to hydroxy. I have 12 monthly eye checks at my optician and up to now there’s no evidence of AMD. It’s best to weigh up the pros and cons and discuss with your consultant.
  • ted48
    ted48 Member Posts: 16
    webmanager wrote:
    Hi Ted
    There is indeed a small risk to your retina from taking hydroxychloroquine so it would be a very good idea to chase this appointment and have your eyes checked regularly. Here is a link to the drug details for you
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/hydroxychloroquine/
    I hope this information helps and let us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Hi Ted , people with RA and other immune illnesses will get problems with their eyes ,
    Dry eyes is normal , other problems include episcleritis or scleritis ,
    your consultant can arrange a test for dry eyes , I dont get on with hydroxychloroquine so can not help you with side effects , but get your eyes tested regulary , they picked up I would have developed glaucoma & a simple eye drop can stop it
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I have been on hydroxy for years now and have detailed eye test every year.If you think you have a problem get it sorted asap.