Cough Medication

Options
Dragonfly17
Dragonfly17 Member Posts: 47
edited 18. Oct 2018, 17:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Peoples
Looking for advice: just got over laryngitis and managed it with taking paracetamol but now it's left me with a very dry cough which I can't seem to shake off. For last 3 nights I have had to get up in the early hours to sit downstairs with warm drink as this seems to ease things. Does anyone know of a cough mixture I can buy over the counter to help and that I am able to take along side my meds (I am on mtx and hydroxy - plus beta blocker, blood pressure pills and aspirin; a walking pharmacy me, hahaha).
Will be grateful for any advice as coughing is getting me down.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Coughs can be a proper nuisance but cough mixture has never made much sense to me: the problem is in the lungs so how does stuff going into the stomach sort that? I swear by port and brandy but endless cups of tea is my usual port-of-call. If a hot drink helps them how about taking a flask to bed so you don't have to get up to make something? Alternatively, if you want a linctus, ask the pharmacist for advice (we are not experts in drug interactions) and when you take a dose mix it with some hot water to give added 'oooomph'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Dragonfly17
    Options
    Thanks DD. I do take water with me to bed but it doesn't seem to be making a difference. Not sure if it's the hot drink and the upright position which is doing the trick when I get up.
    I have been to pharmacy and they suggested Benelyn Night Syrup, so will take a dose tonight and see how things go.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, did it help? DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    When my ashthma gets troublesome with a tickle I make hot lemon and honey which sometimes helps-it keeps warm in a thermos flask or insulated cup beside the bed. My local pharmacist also suggested simple linctus-not sure whether it helps but it does no harm and I feel like I'm trying to do something positive. Maybe it's worth a conversation with the pharmacist who knows what meds you take.

Deb x
  • Dragonfly17
    Options
    No DD, it did no more than 2 paracetamol did - it made me drowsy but did not help me sleep any longer.
    Dibdab, I did speak with a pharmacist when I got the Benelyn.
    I spoke to rheumy nurse who said Benelyn is fine but to make sure I am not driving, which I now fully understand because of the drowsiness. She also said to see my GP to check my lungs were clear and to get set of bloods done so hospital can see if this infection is having an effect on my RA. Saw GP today, lungs are clear and can only suggest carry on as I am.
    One thing rheumy nurse did mention was NOT to take my mtx - but too late, I injected on Sunday night!! Although she did say not to take any more until I am fully recovered. Didn't think to ask why, does any know the answer to why you stop taking it if unwell?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've lost count of the number of times I have posted the following. :lol:

My hospital has always told me to stop the meds when I am ill and to me it makes perfect sense. The meds suppress our immune systems in an effort to control disease activity this leaving us more open to infections; we are slow to produce symptoms so by the time we do things have a hold. Stopping the meds allows the immune system to fire up to fight the infection, just a week or two off the meds can help to shift bugs quicker and will not necessarily cause the arthritis to flare. Continue taking the meds and the immune system allows the bug to linger. DD
  • Dragonfly17
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation DD. Sadly no one told me this, which is why I took my mtx on Sunday and also why this infection is lingering; will just have to sit it out, but will know for the future. Thanks again. xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My hospital is a teaching one which might make a difference. I have a friend whose cough is now six weeks old and causing her nose bleeds as she is coughing so hard. She continues to take her meth once a week and her leflunomide daily . . . . a no-brainer for me but her hospital (a small one) does not give this advice.

Generally patients are not able to ask questions because they lack knowledge and experience, likewise medicos can be very blase in their approach because they assume everyone knows what they know, plus repeating the same things ad nauseum is wearying. Thank you for the thank you, it helps to have one's time and input acknowledged. DD
  • Dragonfly17
    Options
    Still coughing away and quite breathless certainly can't get around as normal so am not going to take my mtx this Sunday, in fact not going to take it again until my chest is clear. Never had anything linger so long, feeling quite weak and hating every minute. Good health to you all this coming Winter.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That reminds me of my asthmatic days (this was before inhalers had been invented) and I wonder if the weather is also influencing matters? I think you do not live far from me and the last few days have been windy: moulds and spores abound at this time of year and they can affect one's breathing ( as well as one's mood). Your immune system is acknowledged as being faulty so this could be another factor, I have had to increase my inhalers over the past three days and will continue at the upper doses until the weather changes for the better (dream on, Daisy, this is October in the UK!). :lol: DD
  • Dragonfly17
    Options
    Hahaha DD re weather improving. Said to husband other day when he said next dry day I will sweep up the leaves, I said that will probably around April/May next year.
    Cough seems to have eased a little at last, it's been just under 3 weeks, breathing is a little easier, think I will still not take mtx this Sunday to make sure I get over this. Must say it's nice to not be in such a fog, didn't realise how much difference the mtx has on my day to day fatigue and fog brain.
    Thanks DD for all your advice. :)
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Actors are said to rely on liqourice to keep their throats well?
  • Dragonfly17
    Options
    Love liqourice, so may give it a try.