Apologies for absence

Options
2»

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks, Siophie. This is the easy bit while I'm pumped full of drugs. Reality will return but I shall enjoy being where I have to be - even without the six pack :wink:

Claudette, pred is prednisolone. It's a steroid that, for many of us with inflammatory forms of arthritis, works like a dream - or, at least, cons us into believing so. Unfortunately, it thins all body tissue not just the inflamed bits so is not a long term solution as it can affect heart, lungs etc not to mention thinning the bones.

I was once told by a nurse that the best thing for my tooth abcess was neurofen.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Claudette
    Claudette Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks for the info about your drug. You sound like a determined person who will wean yourself off it when you are able. Steroids work, yes...and can actually help things even lungs can't they? I got two doses before I gave birth to my son at 30 weeks to build up his lungs. He was only ventilated for a few days.

Battling massive pain is also not good long term so I suppose we have to strike a balance. Get well soon.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah Claudette, you have no idea how determined Sticky is. When it comes to wearing big girl pants hers are bolted and welded on (unlike mine which fall off every now and then). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :o :shock: :lol:

I assure you my pants are laundered daily (before being bolted back on :wink: ) and DD has never seen them :lol:

Claudette, you are absolutely right re pred and lungs and only someone whose brain is addled with pain meds could have written my last post. I've been using a steroid inhaler for my asthma for years :roll: It certainly does help lungs. Of course, all meds' leaflets have to list side-effects. Those of pred apply more to long term use but it can certainly damage a lot of things while doing good elsewhere. Fortunately, I'm only on it for 2 weeks for an ear problem. No tapering off in such circumstances. Just dive in and leap out. One week to go.
    Steven Wright
  • Claudette
    Options
    So the THR, Sticky, is in your ear? Sorry didn't ask. I was presuming myself sorely ignorant again.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I am a mishape, Claudette, but no quite so mishapen :lol: The failing THR (Total Hip Replacement) is more or less where a hip should be (though not, unfortunately) quite. The pred is for an entirely unrelated ear problem. I feel we on here should be excused 'other problems' but, alas, it doesn't work like that.
    Steven Wright
  • Claudette
    Options
    You are very right Sticky...it doesn't work like that. I bet you are a nice sort of mis-shapen. The pain is another thing though. Hope you are a lot better soon.
  • Claudette
    Options
    ...and now I'm fretting a little because you said "I'm a mis-shape but not quite mis-shapen" ....and me being not one to read things properly concentrates on the mis-shapen bit and thinks how I like imperfect things...and having a perfectionist streak myself, likes that part of myself which likes imperfect things....this includes people who have been through the mill physically or emotionally but who pull through and shine. So no matter what shape you are on a forum such as this anyway it is your words and character which count and make an impression.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Claudette, I am mishapen and have been for most of my life as I was born too early for the disease modifying meds. It's no big deal. It doesn't bother me. It's who I am. And, believe me, I'm far worse than twisty joints :mrgreen::lol:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    She is. 8) She is also very lovely and my inspiration. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Ditto
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Claudette
    Options
    ....and I'm inspired too. Thank you.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

DD, coming from you that is quite something. I feel humbled – which is not a state I'm used to :wink: Slosh and Claudette, thank you both for endorsing it.

Of course, I can't let you get away with it scot free :D If it's true of me it's also true of so many people on here. We each cope with similar dross in the individual circumstances of our own lives which continue to acquire the additional dross and difficulties of everyday living, healthy or unhealthy.

I'm constantly inspired by so many people on here. Young Stardust / Starburst (I nearly typed 'Starbucks'. Spot the one one on heavy duty pain meds :roll: ) is a prime example right now but you all play your parts regularly and almost – I wrote almost – make me proud to have arthritis just to be part of such an amazing gang.

In a world which constantly pressurises us to look a certain way, do certain things, be certain people and holds up, for our emulation, those who have achieved nothing much at all, it is so heartening to come on here and 'meet' the real, day-to-day warriors who battle the odds routinely and sometimes achieve more just by getting out of bed than the glitterati do in a week of activity. And, let's not forget the quiet, behind-the-scenes Mods who make it all possible for us often while undergoing exactly the same hardships as we do.

Well, I think my soapbox is starting to break up so I'll get down and shut up. But thank you all. You certainly make my life better and inspire me.
    Steven Wright