Cimzia and DMARDS

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 18. Oct 2018, 14:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I have now recently been diganosed with non radiographic axial SpA after 8 years, I'm 26. I've also started getting some gastro problems as well.

I'm just wondering if someone would be able to offer me some advice. I know no medical advice can be given. I have just started treatment with Cimzia and I also take two DMARDs Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine. I just wondered if anyone else had taken both of these DMARDs at the same time with the Cimzia before?

I just wanted to see if this is something you can do whist being on the biologics? I've been on both Methotrexate and Sulfasalazine for a couple of year's now but just wanted to see if it is normal to take both of these with the cimzia as well? I have left a message on my nurse advice line and am waiting to hear back.

Thank you in advance,

Kirsty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I took two DMARDs alongside infliximab and after that enbrel. I am now taking humira and injected meth, I stopped the sulph around three years ago as it was doing nothing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    I inject Erelzi and take Leflunomide and Hydroxy. Only been on Erelzi for 5 months but not noticed any adverse effects, apart from just having a 6 week long chest & sinus infection. I’ve had episodes this long before so I don’t think it is the drug combination that’s the cause, just the whole immunosuppressant malarkey.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Kirsty07

I hope you get a reply from your Nurse soon and that the replies so far from members have reassured you.

In case it helps I am adding a link to an Arthritis Research UK article on DMARDs and Biologics. Cimzia as you know is a biologic:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/health-professionals-and-students/reports/hands-on/hands-on-summer-2010.aspx

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • Kazziwaz
    Kazziwaz Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi Kirsty

I take Cimzia and methetrexate and have done for 3 years now. I'm monitored by my nurse and everything is good
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I still haven’t heard back from the nurse but unfortunately that’s part of the course with my hospital and the help line . I’ve taken all three medications together and it seems fine; however I’ll mention it next time I go to my GP.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk