Here's another 'Hello'

Options
Mekon
Mekon Member Posts: 2
edited 12. Oct 2018, 06:33 in Say Hello Archive
I've just visited the NHS rheumatoid arthritis symptoms page and it was an eyeopening revelation as I read it. I have most if not all of the symptoms listed there, I don't have dry eyes and I don't fall into the age range where it's most likely to occur (I'm 75 male) but everything else fits me to a tee. I mentioned some early symptoms to my GP a few months ago and she discarded RA and went for Osteoarthritis instead because of my age but now I think it's rheumatoid arthritis and I'll pursue it with her when I see her next, armed with a little more information.
She's a good doctor but is treating me for a number of complaints and the symptoms tend to run into each other ( pulmonary hypertension, prolactinoma, heart failure, achalasia, sleep apnea and others). Although I can walk short distances I depend a lot on a mobility scooter and a stairlift and my wife helps me enough to be deemed a 'Carer' although I try to do as much as I can myself.
I've pretty much convinced my self that I have RA and not OA. so I'll be coming back to this site to get to know of the disease better and to learn from others members of the forum

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forums,may I suggest you take a look at
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritisI hope this gives some help.
    If we can be of help in any way just ask
    Al
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Mekon, it's nice to meet you and I hope you find the forum to be of interest. GPs do not deal with auto-immune arthritis, that comes under the purlieu of rheumatologists so a hospital referral is required. There are close to three hundred kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions, many of which overlap in the ways they present so sometimes seeing a rheumatologist is more to rule things out than in.

I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) which began back in 1997 when I was 37. Osteoarthritis was diagnosed in 2011, some joints have one, some the other and others both. My rheumatologist ignores the OA and whatever GP I see ignores the PsA. I do my best to ignore both conditions but that is becoming more challenging the older I become! :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hello mekon and welcome to the forum we all would prefer not to 'qualify' for :roll:

I have RA and OA, the former for 57 or so years and the latter for about 45 years. RA is one of the inflammatory forms for arthritis. It can be a bit puzzling because there is also inflammation with OA but that is localised to the particular joint(s) involved. With RA the inflammation is widespread and it feels like that. During a flare it's a kind of 'fluey feeling'. It wipes us out. I do hope you don't have it but you are right to make sure.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright