Hi everyone

KLD
KLD Member Posts: 3
edited 17. Oct 2018, 05:42 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone. I started with osteoarthritis in my left foot at the age of 26 which was ridiculously young for osteoarthritis. It then also developed in my right foot which became worse than the left and I now have some screws and a small plate in that foot to fuse part of my foot together. I am now 46 and have also been suffering with osteoarthritis in both hands for the last 2 years and now also seem to be developing some in my left shoulder. My father also developed osteoarthritis at a fairly young age so I seem to have inherited it from him. However, I am still active and still work full time. My employer has made some small adjustments for me such as an ergonomic keyboard for my computer to help with my hands. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing advice etc. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello KLD and welcome to Versus Arthritis forum

Sorry to read that you have been troubled with osteoarthritis in your joints, you will find many of our forum members are struggling themselves in their many different ways. The forum members are in a position to offer you some sound advice and direction how best to manage the condition. Please feel free to call the Versus Arthritis Helpline if you are seeking specific advice they are extremely helpful, the number is at the head of the page.

Enjoy the forum and good luck.

John
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hello KLD and welcome to the forum from me too :D

I am convinced there's a genetic factor with arthritis, but is sounds as though you are doing well keeping going and working!

I hope you find it as supportive as I have over the years here.

Take care

Toni xx
  • KLD
    KLD Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all of you for your lovely replies. I am struggling a bit now the weather is damp but I think that working and exercise both help to keep me going. I work full time as an assistant head teacher at a secondary school and I do find that when the job becomes quite stressful it can make my symptoms worse although I am not quite sure why that is the case. I love walking, but walking a long distance can be a challenge as my left foot becomes painful. I think that in the long run it will probably need to be fused in the same way as the right foot as this has provided me with considerable relief. Unfortunately, apart from some physio I had last year I don't think anything more can really be done for my shoulder or my hands. I love cycling but I am struggling a bit to squeeze the brake levers which is a problem as I live in quite a hilly area! I also love horse riding, but I fell off back in the summer onto to my arthritic shoulder and it hasn't been quite the same since. It has become very stiff and sore- does anyone have any suggestions about what might help with this please?