Sorry for not being around

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 2. Nov 2018, 06:29 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

So sorry I've not been around much lately. Life has been very busy and although I've been reading, I've just not managed to log-on and post. :oops:

I had an horrendous chest infection last 2-3 weeks which took me out of work for just over a week. t2507 I ended up on high strength antibiotics and only just avoided going to A&E as I was extremely breathless with it. It's cleared now thankfully, although I can still occasionally bark like a Rottweiler if I have a coughing fit. :D That doesn't go down too well with my cat!

I'm still struggling with my knees. My left TKR (Jan 2017) is still causing me problems and my right partial TKR (May 2009) is starting to make it's presence felt again which concerns me a little. I was told it would last 10-15 years; it's now 9 years old and I have to say the thought of having it done again isn't something I relish. My back, neck and shoulder all regularly have a nice little party without giving me any notice unfortunately. However, as usual I plod on and refuse to let my OA control all of my life - it's bad enough it limits what I can do without it taking control completely.

I'm managing to maintain my weight loss and I stay roughly the same, give or take a pound or two. My new relationship is still going well I'm pleased to say.

I'll be back soon - promise.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Grace, I’m sorry you are going through the mill lately. It’s bad enough when illness strikes anyone, but to someone who’s on immunosuppressants, it can completely knock you for six. Even worse if you have to contend with work too. I’m lucky that I have retired now as I know it wouldn’t be easy for me to take time off.
    I too am struggling at the moment as my chest infection is now being treated as pneumonia. One of the ABs is making me feel so sick. I haven’t had any RA meds for 5 weeks now.
    All we can do is carry on.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • GraceB
    Thank you Jennand,

As I only (hah! :roll: ) have osteo-arthritis thankfully I'm not on any immune supressing drugs. I'm 99% over the infection now although I'm temporarily partially deaf at times in my right ear - I suspect it's the remnants of the congestion taking it's time to clear.

I hope you also feel better soon. Get lots of rest, drink plenty of fluids and, if you can bear it, have a window or two open as fresh air does, I firmly believe, do you good when you are poorly.

Take care of yourself.
    GraceB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Grace
    I am sorry to hear you have had a rotten chest infection..I think the strong ABs can make you poorly has well..so glad to hear you are improving..
    I worry about having my hips done for a second time , so know how you must be feeling..I wonder if a physio could help to strengthen them..might be worth a try..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    So sorry to hear this, my daughter (ME/endo) always says it's horrible to get "normal people" illnesses on top of whatever we are living with and she's right, it doesn't take much to knock us off balance .
    Hope you are well on the way to recovery.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There's no need to apologise, Grace, there is more to life than arthritis. Nothing changes on here, the repetition is even getting me down. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I see we're in the same, clapped-out, boat, Grace :wink: Not to worry. Things will improve for both of us and you are doing so well with the weight loss. Glad the relationship is going well too. That's lovely :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Thank you all for your very kind replies.

I'm plodding on as usual (well, what other options are there other than to give up and I'm definitely not going to do that!). I intend to keep my older metal knee going for as long as humanely possible.

Last vestiges of the chest infection still clearing - my sinuses are now bunged so I'm inhaling steam vapour etc., regularly in an attempt to clear them.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    As usual you seem to have everything under control, Grace, but I'm sure it's not easy. Keep at it. You're doing well.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    I try SW. :P

Now my "new" knee is playing up. :roll: Swelling, stiffness, pain - complete set of problems.

The wet weather certainly isn't helping me at the moment as I'm very stiff in all my joints so trying to keep everything moving as best as I can. My pain meds are back up to maximum which I'm not keen on but no choice at the moment.

I suspect nearly everyone on this Forum is probably struggling with the wet weather. I'm starting to think the Forum bus needs to come out of the bus depot and whisk us all off to somewhere sunnier for a few days. Now, I wonder where we could go to ... ?

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Life with arthritis is a struggle, all day and all night, every day and every night. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes it's less worse but it's always a struggle. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    GraceB wrote:

I suspect nearly everyone on this Forum is probably struggling with the wet weather. I'm starting to think the Forum bus needs to come out of the bus depot and whisk us all off to somewhere sunnier for a few days. Now, I wonder where we could go to ... ?

You could always try the Scottish Borders. We've had some lovely sunshine and hardly any rain for ages :D
    Steven Wright