long time since last post, sorry

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 2. Nov 2018, 18:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
It has been a while since I have posted on here. I have had a very difficult year, with health issues and some family stuff.

As well as dealing with the usual arthur stuff, pain etc, I have had gastro problems for which I have had lots of investigations, and scopes etc. Culminating in eventually having 2 hospital admissions and then an emergency op to remove my gallbladder.
This was 5 weeks ago, and I was getting over this, when last Sunday I had a bad fall causing head injury and dislocated my left THR ( for the 3rd time now!) I eventually got to hospital, after a none emergency ambulance was sent that had no morphine or even a stretcher, and went to theatre the following day, yes! I had a dislocated hip for 24 hours :shock: I am now home and struggling with pain in my hip, head, back and knee. I have seen my surgeon who has put me on hip restictions for 6 weeks and to see him again then.
My mental health was not good before this, and I can feel it going lower.
So it is true, most accidents happen at home!

NB

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You are definitely in the woes right now, NB, and I'm sorry things have piled up so much for you. With luck, the stomach issue, at least, will be banished now.

As you'll see, quite a few of us on here are struggling. I have a hip issue too but it's a THR which has come unstuck so heavy duty meds for me for a while. Hopefully, they can eventually replace it. What are the plans for yours? Or, is it hoped that the rest will sort it out?

No wonder you are feeling low. I do hope things take a turn for the better soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Sticky
    sorry to hear that your THR is loosening. The painkillers don`t always take the pain away and have their own effects to handle too. Hope you get sorted soon x
    I have been told to rest for 6 weeks and go back to see the surgeon , as things are too bruised and swollen to make a decision yet. They said the hip is unstable in certain positions, but I am really hoping it becomes more stable once the swelling goes down. I can`t afford for any more time off work for one, and worry about the weakening of the muscles from further surgery.
    As you say, at least the gallbladder thing is sorted now and I will be able to put that behind me- wouldn`t it be great if we could do that with all ailments!
    Take care
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,707
    I suppose if you have to rest it exercises mightn't be the best thing but I've been given some to strengthen my supporting muscles to try to hold the joint stably. I just picked up a couple more this morning. I've no idea whether or not they'll help but any port in a storm.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    I think it is a god idea to try to strengthen your muscles around your hips, especially before more surgery , as that is what keeps the prosthesis there I guess! I am doing some gentle exercises as advised , but nothing too strenuous or high impact of course.

NB
  • nearlybionic
    Thank you Sharon,
    It is so good to have this forum to post on when I need to. I do feel bad that I don`t post more, but life is busy and although I do read and use the resources on the site, I do pop in to see how others are doing too. I have it good compared to a lot of others, and have achieved lot in the past year, and hope this is just a minor set back for me, fingers crossed.

NB
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you've been going through the mill lately NB. I very much hope that the pain is a little more under control for you. This wet weather doesn't help with joint pain does it?

Take care of yourself.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hello NB,

Sending gentle hugs (()) you’ve been through the mill, so it’s not surprising that it’s affected your mental health. I’ve been having pyschotherapy and I find it really beneficial to have that time to talk. I would recommend it. We are always here for you and you never need to apologise, that’s why we are here. I dip in and out of here but at the end of the day, we are all friends and will always be here for one another.

Be kind to yourself. Don’t push yourself too far, neither mentally nor physically.

Sophie x