Abatacept

Options
fatikam
fatikam Member Posts: 2
edited 5. Nov 2018, 05:34 in Say Hello Archive
:) Hi everyone
My name is Fatikam and I am suffering from arthritis since 2007. I have tried different treatments and some did not work: Sulfasalazine, and TNF. I have been asked to start "Abatacept" which I am not really keen to do because of the side effect.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fatikam,

Welcome to the forum, it’s lovely to meet you. It’s sometimes difficult to find the right medication /combination of medications to combat rheumatoid arthritis- Abatacept is one of the ones prescribed when others have failed to give adequate control. I can understand your worries over side effects, it can be quite frightening to read all the possible problems that can arise, remember though you will be carefully monitored to make sure you are safe on each medication you are given.

Here is the 'versus arthritis' information on Abatacept

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/abatacept/

Some of our members take this too - hopefully they will see your post and be able to share their experiences with you.

Do post and let us know how you get on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Side effects are not guaranteed (I have no idea why people think they are) and not every arthritic who is taking these meds is a member of the forum. I have had minor troubles with some of the meds I have taken overs the years (nasty headaches, becoming hairy, developing a rash) and one more major one but I felt fine throughout that setback. I am now on injected methotrexate and humira and have been for eight years, the only problem I have is feeling extra tired every now and again after an injection. I had my first anti TNF back in 2006 so am an old hand at this business.

When we are put onto these stronger meds we are always carefully monitored with blood tests to pick up the first signs of any trouble. I know from experience that the system works but you must be conscientious about having your bloods done regularly. Unluckily for me it was all too little too late but so what? Living a challenge-free life would be very dull (or so I keep telling myself). Good luck, if you decide to try I hope the treatment improves your condition. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello from me too :D

I've not had abatacept as I get on well will methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine but I agree with DD that side-effects are rare not the norm. If the latter were so they would never have been sanctioned for prescriptions.

Abatacept is usually very good for patients who have not previously fared well on anti-TNF meds so I guess it's well worth a try.

https://tinyurl.com/yc6r2dr4

The above is from the BMJ journal. It's heavy reading so I just skipped to the Conclusion at the bottom of the first paragraph
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright