Hello!

Options
pinky68
pinky68 Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Nov 2018, 06:15 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone...just wanted to say hi and hopefully get a few pain reliever tips. I got diagnosed with OA about 7 years ago. It started in my right knee and has now started in my left. I have noticed recently that I am getting a little pain in my right ankle and also my neck. I work part time in quite an active job which means I am on my feet for roughly 7 hours on a working day. After coming home from work I usually sit down for an hour or so but when I try to get back up again the pain is getting quite bad and my joints have seized up, consequently it takes me ages to get upright and get going again. Any tips or tricks to ease it would be greatly appreciated. :):)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi pinky68
    Welcome to the forum so sorry you are going through pain at the moment.The forums are full of lovely understanding and encouraging people who will understand what you are going through and they all have Arthritis of some kind so you are in good company so to speak.
    Just choose a forum and get started Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat being the most popular. All the best
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips plus an auto-immune arthritis which affects all my toes and both knees. Other joints are affected too, some with one, some the other and others both. I am in my twenty second year of dealng with it and found two major ways of reducing my pain levels, namely retirement and moving. :)

Whilst at work wear good, supportive footwear and take a small but regular dose of pain-dulling medication such as paracetamol, this should remove sufficient an edge to allow things to be at least a little easier. Resting with your feet up is good but not for a long period of time because that way one does indeed seize up. Maintaining a programme of a low-impact but regular exercise will help to keep the muscles surrounding the joints as strong and flexible as possible to better support the joints, difficult with ankles but if the knees are better supported the benefits can ripple down (as well as up to the hips). Heat can be comforting, a wheat bag or hot water bottle is useful especially in the colder and damper times of the year.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we all get it because we've all got it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello from me, too :D

I would second all that DD has said and also add that, if at all possible, you should build a few little rests into your day. Is there any way your job could be made easier?

Also, although it will be the last thing you feel like doing, a few exercises when you sit down in an evening will help, especially if you do them just before standing up again. It's just a matter of easier the joints gently into action again. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/exercise/exercises-to-manage-pain/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright