New here

Options
gaskinjojo89
gaskinjojo89 Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Nov 2018, 12:40 in Say Hello Archive

Hello everyone

My name is Jo I am 29 years old, I got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in April 2018 currently going through a flare up at the moment which is involving me going back onto my naproxen aswell as my other medications!! Would love to be able to talk to other people that are going through the same thing and how they manage their pain and get on with their daily lives xxxx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

So you had got the rheumatoid arthritis under control and then it decided to be a nuisance! Well, that’s not good enough, thankfully your medical team are on the ball and I do hope you are beginning to feel the benefit by now.

You are in exactly the right place to chat to others with similar circumstances. Look through the different forum areas and do join in wherever you feel comfortable.

Here is a booklet on living with arthritis to get you started

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/

Do keep posting - tell us how you are getting on

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I have psoriatic arthritis and have done since 1997. Despite disease activity finally being under good control I still flare, especially in the summer when my immune system is really under attack. You, however, are still relatively new to all of this and maybe things are not as controlled as one would like. What medication are you taking and at what dose? If you are coming at this from a healthy background I feel for you, I was born with eczema and developed asthma aged seven so this is just more of the same for me, my body has never worked properly. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi there. I have RA and OA. Fortunately, my RA is well-controlled by methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. Even more fortunately, I rarely flare these days but, for a short-lasting one, I thnk you're probably doing the right thing with the NSAIDS. How are your blood results? What's the rheumatologist saying?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tarot
    Tarot Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I'm new here today.
    I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees 2 years ago although I've had it in my hands for some time. I'm 62 years young!
    I was offered Physio by the consultant who told me that I might get 80% use back in my knees. The Physio did help and the consultant was right at the time.
    I've found that certain foods seem to aggravate it, more so in my hands - especially potatoes, which I love but I haven't given them up completely. I don't want this condition to stop me from enjoying things I like but I do moderate my intake of potatoes now.

I'm not one to take pharmaceuticals so I did a bit of research to see what could help and I found that an Aloe Vera drink has made a big difference to me. I have 60mls a day and also take a supplement which has turmeric combined with natural eggshell membrane. Not seen that anywhere else. Most days I don't have any pain but on the odd occasion that I do, I use an MSM gel which has an aloe Vera base. It is an anti inflammatory and works really quickly. I generally have it under control and still have a really good range of movement. I'm sure that the Aloe Vera drink and the supplements have helped to reduce my symptoms as I now have almost 100% use back.
    Reading the things some of you are going through, I consider myself very fortunate that I found what is working for me 🙏🏼very early on.
    If anyone wants the link to the shop I use, please drop me a message.
    Hoping everyone finds what works for them. 😊
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Welcome tarot,

It’s great that you have found a combination of healthcare products to delay the worsening effects of osteoarthritis. I’ve looked online and seen each of the products you have listed are widely available both online and in the high street.

If you have a look at our new website 'versus arthritis' you will see lots of lifestyle 'tweaks' to help us keep doing the things that are important to us. Here’s a link to that page

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis/

Just scroll down to the managing your symptoms and living with osteoarthritis sections.

Looking forward to reading your posts
    Take care
    Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi tarot and welcome from me. Too.

I'm pleased you seem to have found something that works for you. So have I – Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs (DMARDS) :lol:
    But my arthritis is an autoimmune kind and it needs them. Please join us on the other forums. We'll make you welcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I am pleased that something is helping you and I hope that continues to be the case. I am one of the lucky ones who has both osteo and an anti-inflammatory type so diet etc. is never going to cut any proper mustard but for those who only have OA it can be very different.

My OA is aggravated if I eat too many acidic foods so I don't - that leaves just the aggravation of moving around and the weather, I need to do the former and cannot influence the latter. I value the pain feedback that I receive from my joints as that serves as a warning to stop and rest a-while (which is what I doing now). I began aged 37 and am now 59, arthritis may have changed my life but it hasn't changed me. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben