Hello, re Operation to pin a joint on the top of your foot.

Options
anne1922
anne1922 Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Nov 2018, 07:25 in Say Hello Archive
Has anyone had the Operation to pin the talo-navicular joint in the top of their foot so bone will fuse around it ...I know it means less movement in the bend of the foot but it should get rid of the pain .
It has been suggested for me as I walk on the side of my foot and my ankle keeps giving way as I am not walking straight but I would appreciate other peoples feedback on the procedure and how it worked or did not work for them....

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi anne1922,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have any specific experience of this procedure myself, but hopefully some of our members who do will be able to step in and offer their thoughts and experiences.

There is general information on foot and ankle surgery for arthritis here:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/foot-and-ankle-surgery/

I can't see anything specifically about this procedure, although the general guidance about advantages and disadvantages of undertaking foot surgery may be helpful as a starting point for considering whether to proceed.

Do keep in touch with what you decide and how you get on.

best wishes,
    Ann
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me too. I'm sorry, I can't help as I've never heard of the joint let alone the operation. My feet are way past it anyway but I think you're right to be cautious. There are an awful lot of bones in the foot (20+) and, if you start tinkering with one there might be knock on effects. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright