A good cry

Options
nedley
nedley Member Posts: 3
edited 25. Nov 2018, 13:08 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone.

My name is Ned and I'm a 37 year old father, marquee erector, dog rescuer and optimistic Spurs fan.

And I've just had a good cry. Today is a bad day.

I suffered a shoulder dislocation back in 2008 and a subsequent 9 dislocations or so later find myself worrying about what the future holds for my poor left shoulder. This December comes my 4th operation and the vain hope that the uncomfortable sleeps, sharp pains and constant burning agony will subside. The shoulder replacement is inevitable but I am deemed too young.

The last operation was a bone block back in 2011 and the plan this time is to remove to screws and have a clean up. I can't bloody wait.

I'm Looking forward to hearing your stories.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi nedley and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

I'm sorry to hear that your left shoulder dislocations are giving you such bad pain.

If things get really bad and you need to talk to someone in complete confidence, then our free-to-call Helplines are available on 0800 5200 520 Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm.

You are not alone experiencing strong emotions and we are all too familiar with the feelings that arise from being in constant pain. The website may have some help available as there is quite an extensive section on emotional well-being, here:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/emotional-well-being/

Please do come back to chat and to let us know how you are getting on, both generally and when you have your next operation. The forum is a great place to get support - we all really do understand :)

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I can't help on the shoulder front, I do have some osteoarthritis in my left one because I broke it back in 2014, but with many other joints affected by two kinds of arthritis I can empathise with the draining effect of ongoing pain. I am in the fortunate position of being twenty two years in, childless and retired, all three things make a positive difference (ye gods, the depths we have to dredge to put a positive spin on things :wink: )

It has been some time since the last operation so I hope the forthcoming one is effective. What triggers the shoulder dislocations? From my reading on here it seems that people do themselves the most harm when they are doing very little, I know one member broke her hip turning over in bed. :shock: Others upset replacement joints by doing their prescribed exercises, sometimes one cannot win. Given your history I would hope that you would be eligible for a replacement but shoulders are tricky and revisions very hard. The younger one has a replacement joint the higher the possibility of more than one revision, and as they involve the further removal of original bone they are not easy for the surgeons.

One cannot beat the therapeutic value of a good cry and well done for having one. We lead difficult, frustrating and painful lives and need to get it out from time to time. It is hard for family and friends to understand, the poisonous ripples of arthritis touch everything they can reach. I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we have had some shoulder people in the past but, as is often the case, once they have been sorted they leave, leaving those who are not sorted to give encouragement etc. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • YogaJones
    YogaJones Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Ned

Welcome to the forum!

I'm 31 and have osteoarthritis in one of my knees following 20-30 dislocations and several surgeries.

I really hope your op makes your shoulder more comfortable. Has your GP given you the option of a steroid injection?

Following surgery it might be worth finding a Physio who does massage and acupuncture; I was lucky enough to see an occupational Physio where I was working just after my surgery and, although it hurt, both methods worked wonders, especially due to the damage to the soft tissue dislocations cause.

Try to remain optimistic, as hard as that is. Best advice I can give is to exercise, not only does it help bad joints but will keep your mood up as well.

Look forward to seeing you around!
    Yoga x