Switching hospitals?

Options
Elmbow
Elmbow Member Posts: 80
edited 28. Nov 2018, 06:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. Does anybody have experience of switching hospitals to one under another trust and do you know the best way to do this?

I've been under one terrible rheumatology department for three years and I've finally reached the limit of what I can take. I have somewhere else in mind that's not too far away.

Do I ask my GP to refer me and do I need to give a reason? I've heard of people doing this without problem but when I've read up on it the rules don't seem so straightforward.

If anyone has experience in this area I'd like to hear about it. Please don't ask me to try to resolve the issues with the current rheumatology department - it's been three years of hell and I am way past that. When doctors lose your trust I think it's time to move on!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've switched hospitals but I don't think my experience will be of any use to you as it was because we moved house - Leeds to Scotland. My new GP, after learning which departments I regularly attended (rheumatology and orthopaedics) just referred me and, in due course, they contacted me.

I don 't know if it's possible to just move to a different trust without moving house but I think your GP would have to refer you if it is.

Just a thought. If it's as bad as you say, have you considered moving house? People do it to get their kids in the 'right' school so why not for the right hospital?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Elmbow
    Elmbow Member Posts: 80
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ha - sounds a little drastic; besides, I would lose my fantastic GP practice in the process! Swings and roundabouts... Thanks though.