Hello everyone

Options
Scotchy
Scotchy Member Posts: 4
edited 2. Dec 2018, 14:22 in Say Hello Archive
I'm new here but reading some of the postings for a few weeks.
I was diagnosed in July with RA, previously I was having pain in my right side and my right shoulder, went to see GP and was referred for tests, cancer fast tracked. Ended up seeing a gastroenterologist who diagnosed small red blood cells and sent me home with iron tablets and multi vitamins.
My GP told me he thought it might be pancreatic cancer.
Months went by still not feeling great, gave up my job as a trainer in a orthopaedic manufacturing environment and went cleaning in the local supermarket for about a year. Started getting sore throats and pains in my hips, went to bed one night and rolled over on my side and I got a searing, ripping pain in my right shoulder down to the breastbone. Couldn't cough or sneeze, was in agony, went to the doctor who said muscle strain take normal painkillers. Not long after the pain got worse and was in my knees, back to the GP saw a locum, she immediately sent me for full blood tests and referred me to Rheumatologist as she suspected arthritis. Tests were done and my CRP was 161, my consultant said no damage to joints, only wear and tear in right knee.
I had been immobile for two months before I saw my consultant, my knees were swollen and sore.
He put me on methotrexate tablets and steroids orally, I had a steroid injection too. I was supposed to see him again on the 5th Sep this was cancelled I now see him again on the 14th Dec.
Since seeing him in July my hands and arms have become very painful and I'm still on steriods and my methotrexate has been increased. I have good days and some very bad days but I'm nothing like my old self ( my consultant told me I would be ) once medication kicks in. Reading some of the posts on here I now realise that perhaps normal will just involve less pain and not pain free.
Sorry for the long post. BTW I'm 64 and I have given up work, I'm one of the 50s babies who have to work till 66 to get my pension.
I'm now grateful that I have reached this age before arthritis called. Big hello to you all.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello there,

Welcome to the forum. We are a very friendly group who all (even us mods) know what pain, fatigue and associated issues really are.
    You are at the very early stage of medication- and it will be tweaked to give you the very best relief of symptoms possible so don’t worry too much just yet though it is a shame you couldn’t keep your original appointment.

It’s winter now and one of the best things you can do to help yourself is to keep well from bugs etc. Your immune system has been subdued so any bug is more serious, flu jab, keep away from others with colds, I know it’s hard, I’m a 50's baby too and have walking bug dustbins called grandchildren around but they and their parents want me well and are very good.

Here’s a booklet about rheumatoid arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/2086/rheumatoid-arthritis-information-booklet.pdf

Do keep us up to date, good luck with your coming appointment - we do 'pocket duties', we come with you for appointments in your pocket to give you strength and help you remember all those questions you need to ask. Do write down your questions by the way.

Join in anywhere you feel comfortable, looking forward to seeing you around

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • Tanne
    Tanne Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Scotchy
    I'm new too but I'm so glad I've joined as everyone is just super friendly and helpful.
    I'm sorry you're feeling the way you are and can only agree with Yvonne, it will take some trial and error to get your meds right but you'll know a difference when it happens. I'm not going to lie to you but you're correct in as much that we will never fully get rid of our pain but we can sure as heck do our best to cope to live within our limits with pain. Don't give up and I know it's hard but try and hold on to the thought that it will get better.
    Tanne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hello scotchy and welcome from me too. What a long circuitous route you have travelled to get your diagnosis! You must have been fearing the worst with the earlier thoughts of cancer.

I hope your next visit to the rheumatologist will be a good one but I'm sorry the meth / steroid combination doesn't seem to be helping. You are right that your new 'normal' will mean less pain not none but we do, amazingly, acclimatise. Please let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Scotchy
    Scotchy Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for your responses.
    You are so right SW, it was very frightening, I had just lost a sister to vasculitis, she was one week from diagnosis to dying.
    I've lost three sisters in under four years and the doctor thinks that this may have contributed to me getting RA.
    I must admit in away RA has been a blessing as well as a curse, I get tested for vasculitis when I have my monthly blood test.
    I do consider myself lucky also, lucky I've got to my age and lucky I could give up work.
    I've read lots of posts and my heart goes out to those who have had it since young and those who still want to have a family.
    I'm sure it will get better for me, it's baby steps at the moment but I'm holding on to the belief that it will get better.
    As my old mum used to say what can't be cured must be endured.
    I thank you all for responding, I hope your positivity will rub off on me. Thanks again Scotchy.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope you will enjoy being a member of the forum. If you have been reading then I am sure you will have come across my replies to people so I won't bore you with any repetition.

I had a long 'journey' before I was tentatively diagnosed with an 'unspecified auto-immune inflammatory arthritis' which was later amended to psoriatic arthritis (it only took nine years). I began in all the wrong ways which didn't help either :lol: I have had a very busy weekend and am very tired now so will sign off. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben