Constipation

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 22. Dec 2018, 13:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
That got your attention, didn't it :lol:

I've never had a problem with it, until now. But then I've always steered a course as far away from pain killers as possible. Currently, briefly I hope, it's not possible. But, because I hate taking any meds I don't strictly need (as one glance in my 'meds drawer' wouldn't tell you :roll: ) I only took the Senna that the hospital gave me for about a week and didn't take the sachets of God-knows-what at all as it was far too reminiscent of colonoscopy prep.

My solution is 6 prunes per day. Simple as that. I don't much like prunes but they work a treat so I combine them with other fruit (bananas are good) or (and?) cereals in an effort to disguise the flavour. That's it. They work. And, surely, they have to be better for us than pills and potions?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I like prunes have to be careful I don't eat too many. :?
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I found that home made yoghurt works well. Only the same as all the fancy 'pro biotics' from the supermarkets.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I rely on bran flakes with a spoonful of raisins added.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Being bunged up is not fun.
    No wonder constipation and consternation are such similar words.

I find upping my fluids helps more than I thought it would. I’m adding an extra litre of water to my usual - and making sure I have a pile of veg and a slice of whole meal bread at some point.

Wishing you “success” very soon!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    And to be prosaic, I read a report recently that straining (sorry), can cause trapped wind.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • YogaJones
    YogaJones Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Ah this is how codeine affects me!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I always knew we were an inventive lot :D Some interesting ideas there. I'll stick with the prunes for now, though.

Now, what do I have to eat / drink to sort out the RA? Ah yes, the meds, washed down with water :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Lactulose is very gentle and bonus, it tastes very nice too. Drink plenty...of water. :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Lactulose is gentle - maybe too gentle? I found I was taking twice the dose to achieve very little . . . . :oops:

I eat dry muesli to which I add nuts, bread is always wholemeal, figs and lots of vegetables. So far, so good . . . . Codeine bungs everyone up, un-bunging is the challenge which we all seem to be meeting! DD.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Porridge is the order of the day, it lots of fruit chopped up with granola and a dollop of yoghurt. Though as long as I take my sulphasalazine the coco's aren't normally too bothersome 😕 maybe one positive side effect that isn't listed on the box!!
  • Sooze
    Sooze Member Posts: 12
    Options
    That certainly got my attention lol! Codine is a great pain-killer but...!
    So caggage is my answer, luckily I love it, hubby's not so keen though hehe!
    There are some great ideas here, I'm glad I popped in today.

Sooze. x
  • LesleyJ1509
    LesleyJ1509 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    A&E for me....

A couple of weeks ago I ended up in A&E with the most terrible back ache, stomach cramps, fever and pain. Turns out I was constipated with a uti. I was advised to take movicol 3 times a day but the stuff is disgusting and doesn’t seem to help very much. I am going to try the prunes as that has previously been recommended. Being free from arthritic pain is something I will never be but the pain in being constipated so badly is not one I want to experience again too soon. Thanks for all the great suggestions and have a great weekend xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    love from
    Lesley
    xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
    ― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Six pints and a strong curry can also be useful dynamite and more fun than all of the above. :wink:

My Ma put her movicol in lemonade (other fizzy sweet drinks are available). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Crikey, Lesley, I've never been so constipated. In your shoes I'd do the prunes with the muesli and cabbage and lots of water too :D Seriously, it's a fact that, as we get older, we tend not to drink enough. I think I'm the exception that proves the rule as I drink gallons of tea, water and fruit/veg juice a day but it's worth just keeping water at hand for a while to sip whether or not you feel thirsty.
    Steven Wright
  • LesleyJ1509
    LesleyJ1509 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Yeah water is always to hand. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    love from
    Lesley
    xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
    ― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Having a Liquorice Catherine wheel works for me on the days when needed. I'm on Tramadol which also bungs you up. :roll:

I drink plenty of fluids, and eat a lot of fruit and veg. My bread is now wholemeal, breakfast is either Weetabix (other brands are available) or porridge. Due to my nut allergy I can't eat nuts so they're out for me.

I have Lactulose which is gentle when required but, to be honest, I prefer to keep things as natural as possible - I'm on enough meds without taking more.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!