Any advice on any support please!!

LucyJanexx
LucyJanexx Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Dec 2018, 09:47 in Young people's community
Hi all, I am new on here.
Im 19 years old, diagnosed with JIA when I was 11. Always lived with it and never let it stop me living a "normal" life. However, I am now struggling.

I worked with special needs children for 3 years but couldn't continue due to the strenuous days on my body. In May 2018, I left my full time job to have a few months rest, with the support from my parents to allow my body time to recover before going back to work. Unfortunately, my health has just got worse since and I'm now unable to return to a busy setting like a school.

I have also had to sell my car and get my parents to help me buy an automatic vehicle as it was becoming too painful to drive a manual.

I just want a normal life, but can't afford to live with no job. I only have qualifications in childcare and therefore finding it hard to start a new career unless I go back to college. I can't afford it.

Does anyone get any financial support if they can't work? I never thought I would get to this point so early in my life! :(

THANK YOU,
LUCY

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Lucy,

My heart goes out to you, you are a caring, determined girl coping with the tricky business of living with arthritis.

Your medical team may be able to help you, it seems your meds aren’t doing their job well enough.

There is help out there for people with disabilities to continue in education. There is the get loan, don’t worry too much about that, you only start paying back after you earn a certain amount. There is other financial help too, I don’t know if that’s linked to the university or the county where you live or study, it’s a bit different in Wales where I live but it’s worth investigating. There’s also help with equipment etc.

You can indeed get benefits. The two are Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP) the former for those who can’t work (the support bit) and those seeking work (the employment bit).

Why don’t you ring our helplines on Monday 0800 520 0520. They will listen and can point you in the right direction.

It does sound like you have reached a crossroads - you’ve recognised that, you’ve problem solved the immediate bits with work and your car, and now you are getting the help you need to move forwards again.
    Those are the MOST important life skills AND employment skills, you can do anything! Your parents must be so proud of you, and you of them doing such a good job nurturing your talents

Keep posting, we’re all waiting to help with whatever you need to step out, and we can cope with the downs and rejoice in the ups with you

Take care
    Yvonne x