Steroid injections and shingles Q - unrelated topics!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 29. Dec 2018, 10:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Question 1:
Is there any risk to being around someone with shingles when you’re immunosuppressed but have had chicken pox? Family member has it and I cannot quite remember. I won’t go around over Christmas if there’s a risk. I’m on methotrexate and benapali.

Question 2:
You know those long acting steroid injections that go into a muscle, usually your bottom? They occasionally give them for RA (and other inflammatory disease) flare ups when steroid tablets might not be needed or wanted. I know the dose is quite large but is it absorbed slowly over time? I ask because I’ve been taken off naproxen due to dropping haemoglobin and they’re querying a gut bleed and I’m in agony, so rheum offered a steroid jab. However, my neurologist said it is “dangerous” for some people with Myasthenia Gravis to be started on high steroid doses, so I should only be started on small doses and slowly titrated up. I did react badly last time, so I understand her concern. I am not sure if an intramuscular injection counts as a big dose or a slow release. I have an appt with her but not for 3 weeks. I can wait, if I have to, but the pain is...not fun.

Thank you xx

Comments

• jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The general advice is you can’t get shingles from someone who has shingles if you have had chickenpox. But you could get chickenpox from shingles if you’ve not had chickenpox. Personally, I wouldn’t be around anyone with either chicken pox or shingles as I would rather not take any chances, being immunosuppressed. For what it’s worth, I had chickenpox as a child. Within 3 weeks of starting my first Dmards I developed shingles. This was because the herpes virus was in my body ( from chickenpox) and my reduced immune system triggered if off and came out as shingles. To be fair, any infection or stress or illness could have triggered it, it just happened to be Dmards.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When you know people are ill why run any kind of risk? Stay away from them, Sophie, you have enough to be getting on with. ((( ))). I cannot help at all about the steroid, you need proper medical advice rather than our well-meant-but-fundamentally- flawed words: we know our stuff but we are not by any stretch of anyone's imagination qualified to advise to that degree. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    I'm with the others. I've no idea re the steroid jabs and, after my most recent brush with steroids, I'd have to have very clear indication from a doc before I'd even consider a jab. However, excessive pain does alter our thoughts. How about your local pharmacist? They can be very informative.

I hope the chicken pox isn't connected with Christmas Day but I'd say don't do it. Years ago I rang my rheumatology helpline for advice as we were going out for a meal with some friends who currently had their chicken-pox-riddled granddaughters staying with them. The advice I got was that, even though I'd had it as a child, I'd only be safe if all the children's spots had now got scabs and if, even then, I asked our friends to shower and change their clothes before leaving the house :o

After that when, recently, a neighbour asked Mr SW for a lift and only revealed en route that she currently had shingles, I disinfected the car afterwards :wink: Probably unnecessary but......
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    I will reply properly when my brain is working, maybe tomorrow. Thank you xx
  • stickywicket
    No reply needed, Sophie. We know how tough things are right now. ((( )))
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello Sophie, I hope you managed to have a reasonable Christmas despite everything that is going on. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Thank you for your support, as always. I avoided the shingley relative and actually, my new Christmas plans were so much more fun and relaxed. I had a good Christmas. Hope you all did too x
  • stickywicket
    I'm very pleased to hear that. Yes, thanks, good but tiring :animal_busy:
    Steven Wright