Hydroxy eyes 2

Options
ted48
ted48 Member Posts: 16
edited 2. Jan 2019, 05:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
It has been some time since I posted anything on this site I wrote some time ago that I was having problems with my vision that may be due to taking Hydroxychloroquine my Consultant referred me some time ago for a hospital appointment for a eye test I have since seen him again and said I should stop taking the tablets until I get the results of my eye test which I have at last had. I did not realize how good they were together with the methotrexate I now seem to get flare ups all the time and cannot wait to get my eye test results and hoping to go back on them again. I was wondering has anyone else had this problem.
Wishing everyone a happy and pain free new year.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, Ted. It's lovely to see you but, of course, for all the wrong reasons :roll:

I can't really help although I do take both meth and hydroxy. I've had to stop the meth sometimes but not the hydroxy. However, it's a fact that some meds work best in combination and it doesn't surprise me that you're having trouble without the hydroxy. I guess it has to be done, though as eyes are important.

I hope you can get back on it soon :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Ted, what are the eye test results you are waiting for? I ask because because Hydroxy use can be associated with age related macular disease ( major cause of blindness in the elderly) but it is just a risk, not a foregone conclusion and also appears to be in long term use ( 5 yrs or more). I take it and because of my ( very strong) family history of AMD, I have yearly eye tests as opposed to 2 yearly. But these eye tests are carried out by my optician, who is well aware of my history, medical conditions and medications. He gives me my results at the time of testing, I don’t have to wait for the results. So, are your tests different? You seem to have been waiting quite a while and I’m not sure that right. You should have been seen urgently, I would regard it as vitally important.
  • ted48
    ted48 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    jennand wrote:
    Ted, what are the eye test results you are waiting for? I ask because because Hydroxy use can be associated with age related macular disease ( major cause of blindness in the elderly) but it is just a risk, not a foregone conclusion and also appears to be in long term use ( 5 yrs or more). I take it and because of my ( very strong) family history of AMD, I have yearly eye tests as opposed to 2 yearly. But these eye tests are carried out by my optician, who is well aware of my history, medical conditions and medications. He gives me my results at the time of testing, I don’t have to wait for the results. So, are your tests different? You seem to have been waiting quite a while and I’m not sure that right. You should have been seen urgently, I would regard it as vitally important.