Trapeziectomy Round Two!

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 17. Mar 2022, 10:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all. I saw an orthopaedic consultant today and I'm signed up for a trapeziectomy on my right hand in the next few months. The x-ray showed severe arthritis in the thumb joint. Some of you may remember I had the same op on my left thumb joint two years ago and it was a complete success. Although I have lost some strength in my thumb there is no more pain, which is a good trade-off, I think.

I discussed anaesthesia with the consultant as I chose a nerve block last time and it didn't work. Only one side of my arm went numb and it wasn't my thumb side! After two injections, both of which failed to work properly, the anaesthetist gave me Fentanyl so that the op could go ahead. I was aware of my hand being painful as they worked on it, so it isn't an experience I want to repeat. However, I've been told that these blocks have improved a lot over the past two years, so we'll see how that goes. I'll be having a long conversation with the anaesthetist! I shake uncontrollably after general anaesthetics, hence the reason I chose the nerve block.

I also have problems with local anaesthesia at the dentist's - numbing injections don't always work - and was told by one dentist that I had 'weird nerve pathways', which made me feel a lot better! If anyone has had a nerve block recently, I'd be really interested to hear how it went.

So, I'm now looking forward to being able to knit and crochet without pain for the first time in many years.

Meg
Tagged:

Comments

• viewmaster
    viewmaster Member Posts: 31
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Megrose2 wrote:
    Hi all. I saw an orthopaedic consultant today and I'm signed up for a trapeziectomy on my right hand in the next few months. The x-ray showed severe arthritis in the thumb joint. Some of you may remember I had the same op on my left thumb joint two years ago and it was a complete success. Although I have lost some strength in my thumb there is no more pain, which is a good trade-off, I think.

I discussed anaesthesia with the consultant as I chose a nerve block last time and it didn't work. Only one side of my arm went numb and it wasn't my thumb side! After two injections, both of which failed to work properly, the anaesthetist gave me Fentanyl so that the op could go ahead. I was aware of my hand being painful as they worked on it, so it isn't an experience I want to repeat. However, I've been told that these blocks have improved a lot over the past two years, so we'll see how that goes. I'll be having a long conversation with the anaesthetist! I shake uncontrollably after general anaesthetics, hence the reason I chose the nerve block.

I also have problems with local anaesthesia at the dentist's - numbing injections don't always work - and was told by one dentist that I had 'weird nerve pathways', which made me feel a lot better! If anyone has had a nerve block recently, I'd be really interested to hear how it went.

So, I'm now looking forward to being able to knit and crochet without pain for the first time in many years.

Meg
    Hi Meg, I had a nerve block on my left wrist fusion & although it was weired talking to the surgeon while he was performing the operation benefited from being able to go home after 2 hours after the opp.
    So my last fusion last week intended to have the same, but the anethstatist was not confident it would be fully effective so I was also put to sleep.
    It did take me a few hours longer before I could Leave & it took just over 24 hours before I go feeling back in my arm.
    I do think nerve blocks are better when performed by a confident anethstatist, but at the end of the day it is your choice!
    Good luck with your operation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I can only wish you all the best, Meg. Trapeziectomies are not in my portfolio :wink: - thank goodness.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Not my purlieu either but I wish you the very best and I hope all goes smoothly. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Thank you Viewmaster, Sticky and DD. I was assured by the consultant that the anaesthetist was very good and she used ultrasound to guide the injection, which wasn't done two years ago.

I'll definitely write up my progress as I go, DD, as I know how useful it was to me to read of other experiences when I had my first trapeziectomy.

Waiting now for the pre-op assessment. In 2016 the pre-op discovered a heart murmur and I had to have an echocardiogram to investigate it, before being given the all clear. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the same thing doesn't happen this time.

Happy New Year to you all.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Meg..I hope the op goes has well as the other one..its something I keep putting off, has my splints help to keep the pain at bay..but must get one done soon..x
    Love
    Barbara