Hello

Blake7
Blake7 Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Jan 2019, 05:20 in Say Hello Archive
I have just joined this group and would really welcome any advice. I had been experiencing awful pains in my big toe so I went to the doctor. The x-ray showed early arthritis. So for the last year or so, the pain has been getting worse, it has spread to other toes and part of my foot. It also now affects both feet. It is awful so I need to do something. I have made another appointment to get the other foot checked but in the meantime I am getting desperate.

I am a dog walker and need my feet to work! I suffer with fibromyalgia anyway but I manage this with exercise, healthy eating and meds. Even driving hurts now. If I don’t work, I don’t get paid.

How can I help myself? I already take lots of pain relief/anti inflammatory etc. Any tips on suitable footwear? I obviously wear walking boots a lot. I can’t wear heels any more. Walking is getting worse every day, I can walk miles sometimes and I feel crippled afterwards.

Does anyone else suffer with toe pain and what do you do about it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome Blake7 to Versus Arthritis Forum

So sorry read of your current problems with your feet, may I suggest to speak to one of our Helpline Team for some support and advice. We have many forum users who have similar problems as yourself, you will find them to be of great support to you.

I have found this link that may be of help to you.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=problems+with+feet

The Helpline number is 0800 520 0520

Enjoy the forum

John
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) which affects all my toes and both knees, plus osteoarthritis which affects my ankles, knees and hips. I am used to issues with my mobility but do my best to work through them. Pain relief does very little apart from dulling the sharper edges, the meds I take for the PsA do nothing for the OA because they are different versions of the same beast. I know that I am physically unable to walk a dog (I can only just do one mile under my own unassisted steam) but it could be done as I have a mobility scooter.

I am in my twenty-first year of this malarkey so well-used to making adjustments to accommodate the demands of the disease: with around forty affected joints it's been a case of have to. When one has been used to leading an active life having to cut reduce physical activity must be hard: I have no idea how hard that is as poor health thanks to rubbish genes has compromised my entire existence. What has your GP suggested? My rheumatologist deals with my PsA and fibro and ignores the OA. I don't bother the GP with that as I know I am doing all I can for that side of things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again, I forgot to mention the advice we give all dog walkers. Instead of one or two long walks take them out for three or four shorter ones, they will have the same amount of exercise but it's easier on you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben