Techie and Non-Techie Help, Please

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
edited 7. Feb 2019, 10:02 in Chit chat
Following yet another hospital scare I decided to ask my sons what they would like me to leave them when I finally fail to dodge the bullet. Both said all they'd really like to have is family photos. In an album. (“You do it so much better than us, Mum”. Flattery will get you everywhere, son.)

So, I've decided to make each a large, personal album and then put all the other photos on memory sticks for them. But the photos are many and varied, in different sizes, black and white and colour etc. I'm thinking of scanning them. But there will still be loads for the memory sticks. How big should the memory sticks be? I don't even know my gigabytes from my megabytes.

Any suggestions, about any aspect of this venture, will be very gratefully received.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My advice would be to get the biggest size you can afford Sticky, they also come in terabytes now. Bear in mind that your sons may need to back them up, in case they somehow lose them. It might be better to get a couple of portable hard drives, again the biggest size you can afford. It's a mine field, as technology improves so quickly nowadays so get a good quality one, such as Sony or Seagate. Good Luck.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks, Kathleen, that's very helpful. 'Terabytes' is a new one for my vocabulary :oops:

I'm not sure about hard drives, especially for the one in USA as their systems often differ from ours.

Clouds were mentioned but I've never done a cloud. I have visions of me (hopefully :wink: ) sitting on one cloud with all the photos on another :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options
    What a lovely thought Sticky, sitting on a cloud and floating above the Earth. I have several 'clouds', Amazon provide one and so does Google to mention two of the easier ones. Don't forget your Harp. :D

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    There can be storagd probkems, the flash drives you talk about may not be able to be used with computers/rablets in the future. I have a large wooden box containjng family photos, certificates, memories etc back to 1700s, so its all in a hard format and no amount of technology can change ghat.

I challenged my parents to go through the older photos and write on the back of the photos all the names for future generations, they didn't.

Good luck.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks, Airwave. You make a very valid point. Maybe a photo album (or two) each plus a large folder of 'other' scanned photos.
    Steven Wright