Hello from Ali

Options
AlisonB
AlisonB Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello all
I have just been diagnosed with O/A in my feet and hips and was
a bit shocked if I'm honest. I've read some posts here so I know that I am lucky that my mobility is still good. I'm just finding it a bit difficult to process it all. Thanks Ali

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alison B
    Welcome to the forum,it is a bit of a shock when you are first diagnosed I remember it well, but remember you have come to a forum where everyone has some form of Arthritis so everyone is understanding and willing to help with advice, we are also very friendly and welcoming.
    All the best on the forums Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat being the most popular.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi AliB and welcome. Any diagnosis of arthritis can come as a shock and we have to be patient with ourselves and give ourselves time to take it in. Maybe you could read up about it a bit (The grey menu above) and then, if you have any questions, we'll be glad to help if we can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I remember my shock when I was diagnosed with OA, I already had an auto-immune kind and thought I was done and dusted on the arthritis front. Some joints have one, some the other and others both; my worst joints are my knees and ankles which makes moving unpleasant. Hey-ho.

What has your GP recommended for pain relief? Has he referred you to physiotherapy? The physio is essential for keeping our muscles strong and more flexible so they better support the joints. OA is the most common form of arthritis which I think works against it, people like to think they have it when they don't and it's very easy to be seduced by the adverts for supplements and 'natural' products: if they were even half-way effective this forum would not exist. Once the cartilage is eroded it's gone, it cannot be replaced, does not regrow and cannot be magicked back. There's no doubt it can be greatly improved by joint replacement but one has to wait until a certain level of damage is reached and even then surgery is not guaranteed. It's not fun , is it?

I was diagnosed in 2011and have got to know my OA very well. know when it will be aggravated by cold and damp weather (which is out of my control) but I can control other factors such as my diet and activity; I know that too many pickles exacerbates it as does overdoing things so I regularly rest. I am very lucky in that I am retired so work pressures are relieved. I began it all aged 37 and am now nearly 60 so I know my arthritic onions. Wish I didn't. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben