Hello everyone

Options
alejam
alejam Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hello
I have been diagnosed with both osteoarthritis, since 2009, and rheumatoid arthritis, since 2017. However I am convinced that I had RA a lot earlier but my gp was not convinced as it was not showing in my bloods. The surgeon who carried out my shoulder replacement op in 2017 found evidence to support RA and so I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine and I am still taking the tablets!
In 2015 I had two ops to replace my poor old knees and I have to say that I am so glad I did. I had heard so much negative feedback that I wasn't sure it was going to work.
At the moment my hands and wrists are very sore and my toes on both feet are going a little 'curly' .
My name is Lyn and I look to chatting and picking up useful tips from you all.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lyn
    welcome to the forum, it is lovely to have you hear. I am glad your knee replacements were a positive result for you it is always good to hear the positive side, as you say most reports tend to be only the negative ones so we love hearing about things that have gone well to babalce up the view.
    Let is konw if there are any specific hints and tips you are looking for and we will do our best to give you some ideas. I am sure some other members will be along to welcome you. Look forward to seeing you on the boards
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hi Lyn and welcome from me, too.

It does sound as if you might have had the RA for some time. I have both too but my OA definitely came about because, way back in the Dark Ages :wink: , there were no proper DMARDS (Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs).

The problem for GPs is that the blood test they use isn't 100% accurate. RA usually but not always shows a high rheumatoid factor. Sometimes GPs think a negative result means no RA - or any other auto-immune arthritis.

I presume, if you're now on hydroxychloroquine, that you're seeing a rheumatologist which is excellent. But, if it's not helping, do ring your rheumatology helpline as you may need a different DMARD. Hydroxy is a mild one. I take it with methotrexate and, together, they do a good job.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I began with an auto-immune kind back in 1997 which was accurately diagnosed in 2006 and then OA was diagnosed in 2011. My auto-immune is psoriatic (PsA) which is one of the sero-negative kinds i.e. rheumatoid factor is not present in my bloods. My GP back in 197 knew nothing about auto-immune arthritis and just left me to get on with things, nowadays they are better informed but still don't know enough: GPs know a little about a lot whereas rheumatologists know a lot about a little. Some of my joints have one, some the other end others both.

My first meds were sulphasalzine and tablet methotrexate but that was years ago, now the PsA is controlled by injected meth and humira. I have never taken hydroxy - I think it's the only one I've never tried. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben