Struggling.

Options
2»

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Is your GP aware you have Raynauds plus a family history of arthritis? Raynauds can be, though isn't necessarily, autoimmune. Does / did any of your relatives have an autoimmune form of arthritis such as RA or PsA? It might be worth running it past your GP .
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hodgy
    Hodgy Member Posts: 37
    Options
    I have had raynauds since my 30's. I didn't know what it was and 15 years ago I didn't have the internet so I went to the library and researched in medical dictionaries. Then I spoke to my mum who told me- I'm just like my Nanny who also had Raynauds and was riddled with osteo arthritis.It wasn't rheumatoid. I have never heard of PDS?? Thank you for all your help. P.S Update on the run effort- I couldn't even run a mile, my foot hurt so bad I walked home in tears. I feel like a total failure right now :(
  • Hodgy
    Hodgy Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Sorry I meant P.S.A
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    PsA is Psoriatic Arthritis but I only gave it as an example of one of the 200 or so autoimmune rheumatic diseases / conditions. For years the docs got very excited about my Mum having had psoriasis but it was clear that mine was RA not PsA.

You're certainly not a failure. It's your body that's letting you down. You are much more than your arthritis. But pushing it to do things it clearly can't do won't help because each time you do so you reinforce the idea of failure. I know you're trying to replicate the feel good factor but your body just isn't in a mood to co-operate right now. Maybe, with rest, it will later. No-one knows. But we can't force arthritis to go away or even to give us a break and the more we try the more stressed we get and the more it gobbles up the stress and grows.

If I was to give you advice it would be to forget about running altogether for a month or even just a week. Find pleasure and fun in other things. If you are able, why not just walk? Sometimes we have to temporarily deny ourselves what we want in order to hang on to it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Sharon, you are no kind of failure, you are a strong courageous lady who succeeds on so many fronts, not least being your daughters hero, her care giver, her protector. If she could describe what you are I am sure it would be full of positive words-let yourself hear them. This is your body failing you, but it doesn't define who you are or what you are.

SW is a wise lady, why not give yourself permission to rest from running until things feel a little easier. That snowdrop wood sounds like the perfect place to go for a walk, natures beauty with someone for company is balm for the soul. We all need some head space and heart space to get our heads around the challenges. Maybe at some point a different way of exercising will appeal, but for now, if you feel the need there are gentler ways-yoga, pilates, swimming...….or that bike-if your other half cycles when you run maybe you go share a bike ride with a pause for refreshment enroute!

PLan yourself a weekend treat, a date night, a movie, a take away with a bottle of wine. Somethings get away from us, but there's lots to be enjoyed. Sending hugs. xx
  • dibdab
    Options
    Hi there Sharon, a little time has elapsed and I was wondering how you're doing. Has that bike arrived and have you had chance to start enjoying it yet? Hope the warm weather has helped raise your spirits at least a little, and that you've had chance to get out in to the beautiful spring flowers.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I read on another thread that she had done a seven mile run, we've heard nothing from her since which isn't surprising: I hope she has physically recovered and isn't in too much extra pain. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thanks DD. I tend only to use this area of the forum. It's good to know that she has found a way to keep doing what makes her happy.