Options
124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi lindalegs !

Thank you for coming back for letting us know about what you have decided. It will hopefully be no surprise that we have been thinking of you here on the Mod Team :D

By the time you have your operation and come back to tell us about your progress, we may well have a whole new forum! happy0159.gif

Enjoy your Christmas
    christmas04

Brynmor
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Options
    Hello Lindalegs.

I'm so glad your appointment answered your remaining questions and enabled you to make a positive decision. Like me, you really had no option if you are to retain reasonable functionality and you have time in which to prepare for a challenging year.

There are lots of useful practical tips that you may have already found via 'Michelle's Story' on the VA site but I can supply details if you send a Private Message. In that article the writer had standard replacements to both shoulders so add a little more discomfort and longer recovery for the reverse procedure; also a less complete restoration of range of movement and strength.

[If necessary, though, I would have the reverse procedure done to my left shoulder too but my OA is less invasive so thanks to an earlier intervention via keyhole surgery that one is still very good.]

At the moment we are staying with family in Dubai and I'm already reaping the benefits of warm weather and a restful holiday but please don't hesitate to ask if I can be of any help at all.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Isn't it good to read such a positive thread? :)

Thank you Legs and Crinkly1 for your attitudes and keeping this thread going it will be so useful for others contemplating similar procedures.

I hope we continue to get updates from you both.

Merry Christmas t8011

Love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Brynmor,

Thanks for replying and I hope you, your family and the team have a splendid Christmas!

I'm not sure whether the new forum is a threat or a promise! a015.gif

t79122
    Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Crinkly,

Dubai sounds lovely so enjoy the rest as well as the warmth!

I've started reading Michelle's Story and will continue in the quieter days after Christmas day. It's all a bit crazy here right now and about to get crazier with this weekend being the twins 4th birthday with the whole family getting together!

Thank you so much for your help and will PM you nearer the time for questions which not everyone would like to know the reply ....and of course if you're prepared to answer :D

Have a great Christmas! m0150

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Toni,

I always believe posting about operation experiences helps others decide and takes the fear out of some of these procedures. To me, it's one of the main purposes of a forum like this. :D

Have a lovely Christmas.
    t79122
    Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • crinkly1
    Options
    It's some time since my last post and Christmas 2019 has been consigned to history by now. Dubai was 'something else' but all went well. For the first time my OH insisted on me having assistance at the airports and, although very reluctant, I have to admit that he was right since walking the distances between different areas would have left me in a dodgy state (OA in spine, knees and hips restrict my walking range and shoulder makes it hard to use walking aids). I swallowed my considerable pride, along with the grrrrs that threatened to accompany it, and it greatly enhanced the journeys. OH was right; as he usually is!!

Back to the shoulder and this morning was my one year hospital check. I was duly x-rayed and seen by a member of the shoulder team who viewed the images, checked the joint manually then tested range of movement and strength. All improved since September so I'm now discharged subject to any further action by the consultant when he has time to look in detail at today's x-rays.
    Conversation was around accepting the reality of limitations and pain - which are much better then pre-op - whilst anticipating further gradual improvements for the foreseeable future.

From my point of view this was as I expected. I'm by no means pain free for all actions but am fine sleeping and even rolling towards the operated shoulder although unable to lie comfortably directly on that side. Having spoken to others who have had the same surgery I know I am very fortunate to be making such a good recovery. I am definitely able to do far more than for the 15 months preceding the RTSR, am immensely grateful to surgeon, surgical team, physiotherapists and my long-suffering husband for bringing me to this point and encouraging me both to keep going and to rest when it's clear that I've reached my limit and am resorting to stubbornness!

Unless anything untoward occurs (or I can answer queries) I shall probably join the ranks of those with OA who, as DD often says, vanish into thin air because they have been fixed. I do add the caveat though that this is not a 'total fix', will never be the same as a normal healthy joint and is something I still have fully to learn to live with. Pain and lack of strength don't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the prosthetics, rather it's my adaptation to them that needs attention.

I don't login when just reading posts and in no way will I be deserting the VA forums so I look forward with interest to the new format appearing next week. I'll sneak in the occasional reply if it seems appropriate.

With my best wishes to all - Crinkly (or creaky and wrinkly.)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Crinkly

Great news to hear that everything has gone well m0150

Do keep returning to let us know how you are getting on, how you adapt and what things you need to overcome when they arise. Popping in to answer questions is always welcome and we hope the new platform will encourage everyone to join in.

All best wishes
    Brynmor
  • Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options
    yes please keep us update @crinkly1 it's great for others to hear how you are getting on. I will be having this surgery myself sometime soon. No date yet
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • lindalegs
    Options

I think this has been an excellent thread Crinkly1 and will be of use to anyone needing total shoulder replacements in the future. (I could be a little biased here as my operation is looming!) I think many will be referencing it when they need an indication of how their operation might go, bearing in mind, of course, that we're all different and our progress may differ from yours.

Thank you and may your new shoulder continue to serve you well!

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
  • crinkly1
    Options

It's exactly 18 months since my replacement so I decided to inflict another update on anyone who chooses to read it!

As I anticipated, progress has continued slowly and steadily so I have probably now reached my final range of movement. I'd say that is around 60% of normal so, with simple adjustments, I am entirely independent for self care and most day-to-day tasks. Not being able to reach some itches can be irritating when there isn't a convenient back-scratcher to hand plus lifting and carrying will always be limited but this is so much better than it might have been and I'll never regret having the operation or the months of rehab afterwards.

There is some general tenderness around the implants; cold, damp days result in extra aching but, so long as I pace myself sensibly, I have little real pain. I thoroughly enjoy cycling on local former railway trails but swimming is disappointing. Since I'm not getting younger and have longstanding OA in back, neck and most other joints that's not altogether surprising so I've stopped worrying about it and am more than content with the bike rides - especially as they are a magical antidote to the sciatica that constantly plagues me.

Recently I've gritted my dentures and done lots of domestic cleaning and painting as we've prepared our too large Buxton home for sale, the reward being that an offer was made as soon as valuation had taken place.

Tomorrow I'm driving 130+ miles to our son's home from where I will undertake first viewings of bungalows in County Durham. Hopefully one will subsequently become our 'last-chapter-of-life'' home.

What bliss it will be to say goodbye to stairs and, at long last, to live on one level and within easy reach of one of our three families. How very fortunate we are to be able to make such a move before we hit our 80s and find the effort of relocating beyond our capability!

I live in hope that I may avoid more joint replacements but, if it becomes necessary, I have great confidence that the outcome will be improved quality of life, as is undoubtedly the case with my left shoulder.

I'm so sorry that several forum readers have had similar surgery delayed by the Covid effect. I wouldn't wish the associated pain and disability on anyone so do hope they will soon find that the queues are moving again.

I am unlikely to add to this thread again but will stick around the VA site in case I can be of help/support to anyone.

My thanks for kind words and encouragement along the way - it all helped enormously.😍

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

Four years since my surgery and all continues well so am just bringing this back into circulation for Lyn56.

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 148
    Options

Woopsie - misread your entry so apologies to Lyn 53 - not 56 or any other number!