Dogs V Disabled

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 12. Mar 2019, 07:38 in Living with arthritis
Next week we might meet up with some friends who are visiting their family about 1 1/2 hours away from us so I checked out restaurants at, approximately, the halfway point.

The huge hotel has recently been fully refurbished. On every webpage it emphasised how dog-friendly they were and that dogs could stay in their owners' bedrooms. I could find no reference to a disabled loo.

So I turned to the smaller one. An older edifice. It has a disabled room and disabled loo at ground floor level. It emphasised no steps. It did not mention dogs.

Guess which one we'll be patronising?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's very much the thing now isn't it to chase the dog owner market?
    Fine if you like/don't mind dogs and aren't allergic to them, not so good otherwise.
    If the hotel has just been refurbished then you would expect it to have also ensured DDA compliant facilities - unless it has claimed exemption on some ground or other.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Pets versus the disabled? No contest, in the UK the furry ones win every time thanks to the national sentimental and slushy approach to creatures. At least dogs can be of some use to humans unlike cats . . . .

Our needs are often low on the priority list for business establishments, understandably so if the premises are old and unsuitable for the installation of facilities but not if they have been refurbished. Anyhoo, I hope you have a good time with your friends. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    It’s interesting. I’ve noted there are many more places allowing dogs including restaurants and cafes. As a dog owner and a dog lover, I have no ill feelings for the four legged woofsters. In fact, I have the heating on right now because I’m worried my lovely little doggy is cold. That said, humans come first.

I know you have to been to the US quite a lot, Stickster. I’ve recently come back from Florida and it’s like a different world. Everywhere is accessible; I could easily zoom around every shop on my mobility scooter. Here, the aisles are not wide enough in many stores. In th US, they enforce disabled parking spaces and heavily fine. Here? On average, I reckon around 20% of disabled parking spaces are used by people without badges and I rarely see parking wardens or security, if it’s privately owned. Anyway, sorry for my rant. Hope you enjoy.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I do like dogs and I can understand a hotel in prime walking country catering for dog owners. Indeed, they may well have excellent disabled facilities but they saw no need to mention them.

Starburst, not everywhere in the US is disabled friendly but the sports grounds are amazing. And they, and cinemas, allow several non-disabled family members to sit with the person in the wheelchair.
    As for enforcing the parking - my daughter-n-law once horrified me by parking outside a Macy's in the 'pregnant women' (Yup. This is the U.S) lot on the grounds that she had been pregnant a few years back. No-one questioned her.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I agree with you, SW. I was in a high tourist area, so I expect accessibility varies. I guess I was just comparing say, London to Orlando - both big cities but one is far more accessible that the other. My friend says it’s because the US has a culture of litigation which is probably true but I did feel more comfortable. I feel much more vulnerable around some large UK cities.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think that's probably true. I also think that the US is a big 'new' country with lots of space. California, where we stay, was really built for the motor car unlike most of our own roads which started off as cart tracks. Makes a difference :D
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    I love kids and dogs,just not someone elses!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Very trenchant, Airwave :lol: And apt.
    Steven Wright