Usefull info for newly diagnosed and diets

AJO2019
AJO2019 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
I was first diagnosed at age 31 after a sudden, very bad flare-up of my arthritis after drinking suspected spoilt beer. I'm allergic to penicillin and have had flare-ups in the past after eating Stilton, yeast products and wine which had 'corked'.
Arthritis is when your immune system over-reacts and attacks your healthy cells.
Therefore I would suggest avoiding foods containing yeast and overripe foods being especially careful of grapes which have a 'bloom' on them(natural yeast) or have started to go mouldy, unpasteurised milk products and anything which may have moulds, fungi or yeast in them.
I also noticed that my arthritis was worse when I had a cold or virus.
Using the new style milks available now which are double or triple filtered seems to help
Otherwise follow a low fat balanced diet to stay healthy!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think it's common sense to avoid any mouldy food, corked wine an unpasteurised dairy products whether or not we have a compromised immune system but, certainly, those of us who have should give them a wide berth. That apart, the recommendation is for a Mediterranean type of diet. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/diet/

Not all types of arthritis are due to an overactive immune system, though. Osteoarthritis isn't. You could read up on them here. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have never found diet a factor in my psoriatic arthritis but it does affect my osteoarthritis: if I overdo the acidic foods I love (pickles, chutneys, tomatoes) the OA is aggravated but at least the reaction is localised and easily dealt with, unlike that of the PsA. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben