Crutches and arthritis

Options
Brittenylouise1
Brittenylouise1 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
]Hello I was just wondering if anyone with arthritis uses crutches to help with pain in hips? I'm 19and I've had arthritis since I was around 8 and I have been on two types of medication

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Brittanylouise
    Welcome to the forum it's lovely you have found us everyone is friendly and understanding and will try and help in any way to make you feel part of the forum the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat.
    All the best Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi brittenylouise :D I've never used them (I have RA and OA in most joints) but several people on here do. They're more likely to see your post if you put it on the Living With Arthritis forum. If you're thinking of going down that route I think it would be best done officially as then you can be sure they're the right height for you and you're using them correctly. I'm sure your GP would refer you. Good luck with them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Brittanylouise
    would you like me to move this thread into the Living with Arthritis forum for you so that more people see it?
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I first used crutches in 2002 when I was 43 after major surgery in my left knee (a synovectomy, not a replacement) and didn't lose them for fifteen years: I still have them and still use them when necessary. I have psoriatic arthritis in my feet and knees, plus osteoarthritis in my ankles, knees and hips. I was very lucky to be taught how to use them by a physio, she stressed they were there for balance and stability, not to lean on. I was also encouraged to use them whilst maintaining an upright stance rather than bending over.

If using one it should be held in the hand opposite to the affected joint, I had to use two and I become a quadruped - left leg and right crutch forward, then right leg and left crutch. Maintain the ferrules and be very careful in the autumn and winter with slippery leaves, frost and ice on pavements. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi BrittenyLouise,

Welcome to the Forum.

I would also recommend you pay attention to your posture, ensuring they are the right height and using in your left hand to support right hip (or vice-versa). If you decide to buy these, make sure they are the right height for you which is vitally important.

I have elbow crutches. I've got one partial knee replacement which went well and a full knee replacement which didn't work quite so well. I also have OA in my lumbar and cervical spine, left shoulder, left wrist/hand and left ankle. My hips are now also tight and causing me pain so I suspect it's there as well (oh, deep joy. :roll: ). On a rare "good" day I use a stick; on my bad days I use an elbow crutch.

All my sticks and crutches have ergonomically shaped hand grips which are far more comfier than the other alternatives, believe me. But, you don't get those on the NHS. If you decide to buy, go through a disability shop and declare the arthritis so you don't have to pay the VAT (some mobility aids are VAT exempt for those with a disability). If you decide to buy, get some spare ferrules at the same time so you have them ready (ferrules are the rubber grips on the bottom of the crutches).

If you stoop whilst using the crutches they are too low; if your shoulders hunch up high the crutches are too tall for you. So please check your posture, or you'll get other joints protesting.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • StephV
    StephV Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Britteny,
    I work within the young people and families team at Versus Arthritis. I just wanted to say hi and tell you a little about what we do.

We support all young people aged 12-18 (and in some places up to the age of 25) who have arthritis across the UK. We hold events for people to help you gain more information and also meet others who are young and have had a similar experience with their condition. If you would like to hear more about these, please send me an email (s.vale@versusarthritis.org) and I would be happy to let you know more.

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your hips - sounds like you've been given some helpful ideas about using crutches. However, if you haven't heard of Arthurs Place you might want to check it out. It is an online magazine and social network for young adults with arthritis. Another young person has written a blog about a particular type of crutches that has helped her. Here is the link: https://arthursplace.co.uk/blog-post/my-amazing-pink-smart-crutches-and-how-they-have-helped-me/. Their Facebook group is also very active so you might find it a useful source of information.

I hope that might be helpful and please get in touch if I can be of anymore help. Take care - Steph