Knee Pain when Walking down stairs

Options
Tracyamiller
Tracyamiller Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Mar 2019, 08:54 in Chat to our Helpline Team
Hi, I am having a horrible flare up of knee pain particularly when walking down stairs. Any advice as it’s getting me down. Thank you

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,497
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Tracyamiller

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain in your knee and this is bringing you down. Have you seen your GP about this so that you can get a proper diagnosis if you have not already done so? If you have arthritis in your knee, then you can speak to the GP about the increase in pain and about reviewing your pain relief. Also, about seeing a physiotherapist for the right kind of exercises for your condition.
    We have information about managing pain when you have arthritis on https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    We have some information about how to manage arthritis in the home, about aids and adaptations and contacting your local council for a free assessment https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/your-home/
    I hope this information is helpful. If you would like more information or would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team please call us on our freephone, confidential helpline number on 0800 5200 520 (9am – 8pm weekdays).

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I am an ordinary forum member with two kinds of arthritis which affects both knees. On better days I can ascend stairs like an adult, remembering the advice of 'good leg to heaven' : I lead with the stronger leg and am able to continue the movement as one usually would. On not so good days the good leg leads and the weaker one is brought up to join it (toddler mode). When descending, however, I am always in toddler mode, remembering 'bad leg to hell': I lead with the weaker leg and bring the stronger one down to join it. On very bad days I descend backwards so I am leaning forward with my hands on the steps in front of me, so should I lose my balance at least I fall upstairs.

The most important thing is to keep exercising the leg muscles so they stay stronger and better able to support the joints and help movement. Lost muscle tone can be very quickly restored and can greatly improve mobility - it won't diminish pain but it does make it more bearable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben