NHS ill health retirement

Bellenbeau
Bellenbeau Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi I have worked for the NHS for 11 years as a health care support worker in maternity so very physical, I was diagnosed with seropositive RA in 2015 having had palindromic ra since 2004 after the birth of my second child.
Since my RA diagnosis I was struggling in my job long days being on my feet for 10 hours I was having regular flare ups and was also found to have osteo arthritis in my right hip after months or groin pain
In 2016 I was redeployed by the trust to a clerical role and reduced hours but I've not even been able to sustain this job and I'm off sick again since September 2018
My manager HR and occupational health are very supportive and have helped me apply for ill health retirement, both my orthopaedic consultant/ rheumatologists and my GP and the occupational doctor have wrote really good reports in support of my application stating I will continue to have pain in my hip and unpredictable flare ups and that in their opinion I'm going to continue to struggle to maintain regular attendance despite adjustments.
I'm awaiting a decision hopefully in the next couple of weeks but I'm just so worried if they turn me down
Has anyone else been through this and of so were you successful.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome Bellenbeau to the Forum.

I am sorry to read that you are so worried about your application for ill health retirement and that you're now in pain with your hip due to the osteoarthritis as well as managing the autoimmune version.

Here is a link to general Living With Arthritis that you might find useful

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis

Please call our helpline on 0800 520 0520 to have a chat with them.

Do come back and let us know how you get on.

TTFN

Amanda x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry I can't help as I've been unemployable for years. All I can suggest is that you have a read through our Benefits and Working Matters forum and see if anything relevant comes up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright