Hello

Options
Ogrady87
Ogrady87 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all, I’m new to this and wanted to say hi.

I’m 31, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the sterno-clavicular joint 2 years ago.

I had an operation in October to remove some bone in the left shoulder. I thought it would make everything better, but my right side has now gotten worse.

I’m going through a really difficult time..mentally.

I’ve been forced to self certify as disabled at work, as they tried to give me a warning for being off sick for my op. No one really understands what I’m going through, my friends think I’m a hypochondriac. I’m 31 and my husband sometimes has to was my hair because my arms won’t reach.

I’m trying my best to be happy every day. But I’m exhausted!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ogrady87
    welcome to the forums, I am so sorry to hear you have been having such a difficult time, osteoarthritis of the sterno-clavicular joint is indeed very painful and it is not surprising that you are having a difficult time mentally. It is hard to adjust and because arthritis is a hidden condition people often don't see what is going on and make assumptions. It is hard to get people to understand what you are going through.
    We understand what you are going through and most of the members here will be able to share their experiences with you. Firstly I would recommend that you try hard not to be too hard on yourself. Would it be possible for you to speak to your doctor about getting some good pain killer in place so that you can get a better nights sleep, it may be that you are experiencing fatigue as well as tiredness so pacing yourself will help.
    We have a booklet about dealing with emotions that you may find useful here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/emotional-well-being/ and also our booklet on pain management might be helpful too https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    We also have a brilliant Helpline team who can talk to you in confidence about things that are important to you. Their number is 0800 520 0520. Of course our members here are amazingly supportive too. Let us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I apologise that it has taken me some time to reply - I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis and the former is misbehaving somewhat at the moment. I began the former when I was 37 way back in 1997 and the latter was diagnosed in 2011 so I'm an old hand at it all and know how demoralising and destructive ongoing pain can be.

I was able to carry on working for seventeen years because I was self-employed which meant I was able to tailor things to suit me rather than having to tailor myself to suit the needs of others. I broke my upper left humerus back in 2014 which was a nuisance but I was far more incapacitated when I had a double carpal tunnel operation, my poor husband had to do more for me than wash my hair and others in here also have helpful partners, it may be a shock for you to need his involvement but for many of us it's not unusual. It was also that operation in 2012 that finally told me it was time to stop working -. a real luxury.

You are unlucky to have OA at such a young age, it is a disease that people associate only with the elderly which is inaccurate. It is also a very common disease which I think also works against it, people think they know what it is but they have no idea, do they? We get it because we've got it and now I have to go as I feel grotty. I am sorry but auto-immune flares are both debilitating and long-lasting , this kicked off around three weeks ago and I reckon has a few weeks more left in it. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too.

Trying to be happy everyday when one feels anything but is exhausting in itself. Add on the reasons why happiness is difficult to achieve and you really have good reasons for not being happy.

Arthritis of any kind comes as a shock diagnosis. I don't know how much you read up about it before your operation but I'm guessing not a huge amount as you say you thought you'd be fixed. That rarely happens. More usually, other bits join in and we have to get used to it rather than trying to get rid of it.

I've been getting used to it for years :wink: It's an ongoing process and, yes, my husband has to wash my hair for me. Arthritis hits an entire family albeit in different ways. So it's important to keep talking about it with each person saying how it impacts them and suggesting ways of improving matters. There are, for example, gadgets available from disability stores which might enable you to wash your own hair. I can make a very bad job of mine in the shower every morning but still require my husband to do a 'proper job' regularly.

It's getting our heads round the whole thing and accepting it that's difficult. Most people will not understand, any more than we understand living with cystic fibrosis or multiple sclerosis or any other disease. Until these things hit us personally we don't get it. It's important to keep reminding yourself that these disbelievers don't matter. As long as the people who do matter accept it we're OK.

But it can drag us down and, when it does, it's good to talk. We're always here for online chats and our lovely Helpline people are available on the end of a telephone most days. They will listen even if all you can do is sob.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • IYardy
    IYardy Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi all, I’m new to this and wanted to say hi.

I’m 31, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the sterno-clavicular joint 2 years ago.

I had an operation in October to remove some bone in the left shoulder. I thought it would make everything better, but my right side has now gotten worse.

I’m going through a really difficult time..mentally.

I’ve been forced to self certify as disabled at work, as they tried to give me a warning for being off sick for my op. No one really understands what I’m going through, my friends think I’m a hypochondriac. I’m 31 and my husband sometimes has to was my hair because my arms won’t reach.

I’m trying my best to be happy every day. But I’m exhausted!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi IYardy and welcome to the forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and it now seems to be affecting other joints. I'm not sure of the procedures for medical referral in the US and how that affects your rights in employment.

The website Versus Arthritis has a good section on Managing Fatigue and has some good tips on self-help, rest and dealing with daily stress:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-fatigue/

Here’s also a link to information about arthritis in the shoulder joint

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/shoulder-pain/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2fym5bia4QIVjrvtCh3WiwDKEAAYASAAEgL8cfD_BwE

Do reply to let us know how you get on

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think iYardy has quoted Ogrady87 rather than posting on their own behalf.

Hello iYardy, I am sorry you have had to find us, do you have arthritis? I do, two kinds, lucky old me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi DD,

Well noticed, thank you. I guess we can leave it and hopefully we will hear about IYardy's arthritis story in the fullness of time!

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • helloandgoodbye
    Options

I too have OA of the SCJ!

i am on tramadol for the pain

keep nodding off late afternoons which is unlike me feeling fatigued

i have not had an operation. I’ve got soft tissue inflammation under my collarbone and now my shoulder pain is worsening

i first noticed the swollen SCJ on june last year and did t get X-ray until Nov that lead to an mri scan January and ultrasound 9 feb

am self employed so able to drop workload and now started a claim for PiP