Heyup

Options
Mickyboro
Mickyboro Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
So, I'm new to here. I'm 40, been struggling from the age of 31 when I turned and picked up my 1 year old son. Shooting pain in knee and pain ever since! Had 4 X MRI scans, 5 X rays and 1 X operation (lateral release). Paid for loads of physio and no improvement. All I've ever had is 'it might be arthritis'. So I'm now having ankle pain as well which I need looking at, quite depressing as I've played football, tennis, done kick boxing, triathlon and I can't do anything now. It's bearable but hurts like crazy if I even dare to kick a ball around in the garden.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mickyboro,

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to hear you have been having such a difficult time. It sounds like you enjoy keeping as active as possible and are keen find ways to manage your pain.

The following link provides some useful information on pain management. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

Just in case it is knee osteoarthritis here is a link which goes through diagnosis, treatment and how to best help yourself

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,
    Alice
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it sounds as though you could well have a form of arthritis but people persist in thinking that it affects only the elderly. I began my first one, an auto-immune kind, when I was 37 (the youngest I have come across was eighteen months old) but more and more 'youngsters' (I am now 60) are being diagnosed with osteoarthritis (I have it too). We cannot diagnose as we are not medicos but, given that OA is often defined as the 'wear and tear' arthritis, and given the obsession with fitness in the young, it is not surprising that this is happening to you.

Swimming and cycling are good forms of exercise because they are not weight-bearing, running is not recommended due to the huge stresses forced through the joints in the legs. If you do have an arthritis then physio won't make things better because it cannot: it is good for keeping the muscles stronger and more flexible so better able to support the affected joints but that's it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Heyup Micky..I love it...
    Sorry you are struggling early days are so hard..but I was ready to retire when I was diagnosed with OAso glad you have joined us , this forum is full of info and also it helps to talk to people that are going through the same...I do hope you get the answers and help you need very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mickyboro
    Mickyboro Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Strangely I'm not sure my symptoms mate that of OA. If I don't do any exercise the pain seems to go but it takes like 4-6 months for it to be feeling fine again. I played football on Tuesday and am currently in bits. My knee is killing and it's the right knee and mainly the knobly bit on the outer knee.

It hurts anyway but if I push around it hurts there. No swelling and if I pull my knee in it snaps really loudly and feels better.

I'm thinking another visit to docs and a referral might be needed. It's so weak..