Hi everyone

Tara060692
Tara060692 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone I'm new to this sort of thing and find it hard to talk about my rheumatoid airthritus since I have suffered with it since a child and got secretly bullied and physically bullied as well so found it hard to show my emotions and talk about my condition freely I'm 27 years old and also suffer with fibromyalgia since 19 but recently I have been diagnosed with lower lumber degeneration and there's nothing no spinal surgeon can do to help other then control my pain and try and keep me moving as well as give me golden injections into my spine and nerves to help relieve symptoms of my trapped nerves and movement of my legs and arms but on top of that I have muscle degeneration in my back and now my left leg but also struggle to be a single mum to my beautiful 3 year old boy but what scares me the most is that I took him to the go the other day and expressed my concerns of his pains in his arms feet legs and hands especially with me having his so the doctor examined him and said they are going to refer him to the pediatric doctors to investigate so could he possible inherit from me due to me being his mother and having it as a child? And if any of u had it from a child and had it in adulthood and how u all coped being a parent with this condition Would be nice to hear from u all hope ur all ok sorry for the essay and rant!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Tarra060692

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums from the moderating team.

Gosh you have a lot going on don’t you? Fibro in addition to Rheumatoid Arthritis, degenerating spine and being a single parent to a 3 year-old boy!

There have been lots of past discussions about coping with a child when you have Arthritis, different strategies to occupy them and manage to keep going yourself. I am sure our members will be along soon to share their stories. If you have family or friends who are happy to help please do accept their offers I used to refuse until I found out that it makes them feel useful too.

I can totally understand your current fear about your child having inherited your Arthritis given that he is complaining of pain. I have found a link for you which contains some relevant information there is a section called ‘What are the Chances of my child having Arthritis”. A sensible GP should refer your child to a Paediatrician to check him out.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/pregnancy/

Best wishes

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I was born with eczema, went on to develop asthma aged seven, so the beginning of an auto-immune arthritis (psoriatic) thirty years after that was no great surprise. The pre-disposition for these things has a genetic link which is why it runs in families. When I was born in 1959 this was undiscovered medical knowledge, as were the creams and inhalers we take for granted now, but by the time I was sixteen I knew enough to know that if had children I would merely be increasing the risk to other generations of experiencing my misery for themselves so decided against.

My parents each gave me auto-immune troubles that they missed, Ma passed on the eczema and asthma, Pa supplied the psoriasis. They were fine and had no idea what they were doing (mind you, do any parents? :lol: ). The stuff can skip generations or be triggered completely out of the blue, the truth is nobody really knows or can predict. Your child might be OK but with your history there is an increased risk that he is not and he should be checked out. A cold comfort is that now there are the meds available which can treat the condition (not cure, that still isn't possible).

I am now sixty, because my psoriatic arthritis was not recognised as such for many years the joint damage that caused has led to osteoarthritis and I also have fibro. It ain't fun but who says life is? Ah yes, the healthy. What do they know. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Tara and welcome from me too.

I was diagnosed with RA at 15 so not quite a child and I remember my schoolfriends being very kind and helpful so not at all the horrible experience you've had.

Like DD, osteo set in because, in my case, modern DMARDS weren't on offer at the time though I do remember gold injections – not into the joint, though, just a general one in the bum. I didn't know they could inject gold into joints. Fortunately, I don't have nerve problems.

I think all parents dread their children getting some horrible disease and, when you think you might have unwittingly been a factor in their developing it, that is even worse. It's true that there can be a genetic factor in autoimmune problems. My elder son has coeliac disease, almost certainly as a result of my autoimmune genes, but, as long as he eats no gluten, he's fine. I do sometimes look at his very sporty 9yr old and just hope and pray he stays fit and well. I think you are doing the right thing by getting your little fellow checked out straight away. No-one wants there to be a problem but, if there is, best to get him on DMARDS asap.

How did I cope when my two were young? I think the truth is I muddled through. My Mum came round once a week and my husband was /is a good Dad. My GP was great too. But, for the most part, I was just on NSAIDS not DMARDS so it was tough and very painful. But I found ways to play with them, or just be with them while they played, that kept us all happy. When they were very young, reading to them was very satisfying for all concerned. They got the story, the pictures and the cuddles and I got the cuddles too :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright