Tumeric

Options
Lesleymb
Lesleymb Member Posts: 3
edited 25. Aug 2019, 07:07 in Living with arthritis
I am hearing a lot about the anti inflammatory properties of turmeric. Has any tried this ? Is it worth a go? Can I still take Sulfasalazine if I try tumeric l

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 12. Nov 2020, 11:52
    Options
    Hi Lesley
    welcome to the community, we are here to support you and hlep you with any information you might find useful. Turmeric is a very popular complimentary medicine at the moment and if you are considering taking it please check with your pharmacist and tell your rheumatologist as well. The pharmacist should be able to tell you if there is any problems taking Turmeric with Sulfasalazine.
    Unfortunately there is not a lot of research being done on the effectivness of Turmeric at present. We have some information here
    https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/types-of-complementary-treatments/turmeric/
    Let us know what you decide and how you get on, we are here to listen and share experience. I am sure some of our members will be along soon to share their experience soon.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As Sharon says, check with your local pharmacist and, even if he / she gives the go-ahead, run it past your rheumatologist at your next visit.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We have to be careful as turmeric etc. are targeting those with osteoarthritis. Auto-immune arthritis is a very different beast, its cause is an over-active immune system. Turrmeric will not reduce the activity of the immune system so will not impact on the disease. Also beware supplements that claim to boost the immune system, that is the last thing we need. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lesleymb
    Lesleymb Member Posts: 3
    edited 2. Mar 2022, 12:24
    Options
    Hi Lesley
    I regulary take Turmeric and also drink golden milk. I couldn't say for certain if it really helps a lot but I do think my muscle pain is reduced and I feel stiffer if I miss it for a few days. My Rheumy was fine about me taking it and actually encourages suppliments.

[Edit - removed link to recipe with intrusive advertising and tracking - Admin Brynmor]

I use almond milk and a bit of coconut oil. If nothing else it's a warm comforting drink to have at night time and helps me sleep. Let me know if you try it
    Grace111
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, if you want to reply and click on 'reply with quote' in blue type ensure you add to the quote. The other option is to click on the 'reply to topic' button in r3d type to the bottom left of the last reply because that brings up a clean screen; type your response then click on submit. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jooms
    jooms Member Posts: 39
    edited 2. Mar 2022, 12:25
    Options
    Grace111 wrote:
    Hi Lesley
    I regulary take Turmeric and also drink golden milk. I couldn't say for certain if it really helps a lot but I do think my muscle pain is reduced and I feel stiffer if I miss it for a few days. My Rheumy was fine about me taking it and actually encourages suppliments.

[Edit - removed link to recipe with intrusive advertising and tracking - Admin Brynmor]

I use almond milk and a bit of coconut oil. If nothing else it's a warm comforting drink to have at night time and helps me sleep. Let me know if you try it
    Grace111

Coconut and almonds high in omega 6 fatty acids and these are reputedly inflammatory. Cucurmin, ginger, turmeric, polylphenols, oily fish are anti inflammatory. Some of these, however, hinder iron absorption.
  • Lisagibb
    Lisagibb Member Posts: 4
    edited 9. Feb 2021, 16:09
    Options

I take Curcumin which is the extract from the Turmeric root with healing properties. I've noticed a vast improvement when I flare. It really takes the edge off. Obviously, this is my personal experience, everyone is different but I showed this product to my Doctor and he said that it was worth giving it a shot, It all plant-based with no fillers which is great. I do make golden milk too and put turmeric root in my cooking but it wasn't enough to help with the pain. Hope that helps.

Edit: Link removed because advertising of specific products is contrary to community guidelines. Anna ( Moderator)

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 975
    Options

Hi @Lisagibb and welcome to the online community,

Thanks for your helpful posts about your experience of using turmeric. It’s great to see you contributing! Why don’t you tell us a bit more about yourself?

You’ll find the members of the online community are a friendly group, always ready to offer support and the benefit of their experience of living with arthritis. I’m sure you’ll fit right in! You’ll see I had to edit your two posts since posting links to specific products for sale is considered advertising under our guidelines.

You might already know this, but there’s an interesting article on the Versus Arthritis Website that discusses turmeric:

Anna ( Moderator) :)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lisagibb
    Lisagibb Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hey Anna, thanks for the info! Shame I couldn't share the product, it has helped me tremendously.