Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Putting a coat on

Mike1Mike1 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited 23. Apr 2019, 05:31 in Living with arthritis
As promised here is how I manage to get a coat or jacket on or off as I can't get my arms behind me. I had to sort something out as I live alone and have yet to train my cat to help me out. My Home Help only comes once a week (as I have to pay for her myself) and although my bungalow was designated as Supported Housing they have taken away our Warden to save money and have re-designated the bungalows as ordinary social housing.

I have put strong clips either side of my kitchen door and then hang the coat/jacket up by the shoulders allowing a bit of slack. I then put one arm in followed by the other and stumble forward which releases the clips. It is a bit awkward as I have to balance on one crutch followed by the other but it works, sometimes I need a couple of goes though! To take a coat or jacket off just clip in the cuff of one sleeve and pull your arm out before repeating the other side.

Comments

• stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,994 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    A good plan for some and kind of you to share it, Mike, but bulldog clips? Not a chance for me. I'll have to stick with my one-arm-through-and-sling-it method :lol:
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • kathleenTkathleenT Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    Brilliant Mike, Just wondered if something like this might hep? not
    too expensive either. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aidapt-contains-Dressing-Eligible-relief/dp/B014L9CW1U/ref=sr_1_4?

Or the one pictured cost £10.45, also from Amazon.
    “I've got the key to my castle in the air, but whether I can unlock the door remains to be seen.”
    Louisa May Alcott, Little Women
  • Mike1Mike1 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Kathleen but I do not have a good enough grip to manage using the stick. As it is I have to grip without using my thumbs, i.e. folding my fingers into my palms.
  • frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 26,210 ✭✭✭
    What a great idea Mike!

I love it - very resourceful of you :D

Thanks for sharing

Toni xx
    Love

Toni xxx
  • Airwave!Airwave! Posts: 2,427 ✭✭
    Hi Mike, I have the same problem, a lot depends on the material, I brought a new outdoor waterproof jacket which has a lumpy fleece inner which is a pain in the shoulders to slide up over my arm, its easier without the liner but cooler, can't win!

You'll soon know its me out and about, a man tilted over and waving his arm at his side with a flapping jacket behind with oh trying to catch me to pull the jacket up for me, haha!