Athritis-surgery-returning to work

Options
Cazxx88
Cazxx88 Member Posts: 4
edited 7. Feb 2023, 10:12 in News Archive
Hello everyone
Im caz, 30 years old from UK.
on thursday i had knuckle replacement surgery.
My surgeon is brilliant at his job but evasive about answering my questions.
Me and my family think it must be because im considerably younger than his usual patients and he has sais himself multple times he doesnt recommend someone of my age to have the surgery because itll only last 10 years or so but i was so bad it needed to be done.

I do work full time as an administrator so im calling, scanning, typing alot!!! Im currently off work sick but cant gauge how long ill be off for....any help will be great!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello
    Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum, I hope you will find it helpful. The members of the forum are very friendly, helpful, will offer you support, advice, and emphasis with you.

At the top of the page you will see buttons which you can press and find out about all the subjects Versus Arthritis cover. If you feel you would like to speak to someone about your problem there is a freephone helpline you can use. Their no is 0800 520 0520.

I am one of the moderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis "hanger's on" or look after family with similar.

I look forward to reading your future posts.
    Best wishes

ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too. I can understand you wanting knuckles fixed. Unfortunately, in the days when mine were very bad, hand surgery was in its infancy so I just had to put up and shut up. Fortunately the RA in my hands is now more or less dormant. They look a mess but still have many uses :D

This might help you. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/surgery/hand-and-wrist-surgery/ You'll see that it's not usual for a younger patient as the life expectancy is only about 10 years. As for recovery - I think those who have had hand surgery often expect it to be quick but that's not so. Exercises are needed for several months and a splint for several weeks during the day and often for months at night. People sometimes think that normal use will provide all the exercise needed but that is so not the case. Normal use will over-exercise some bits and under-exercise others. This will undo all the surgeon's work so do liaise with your physio and do exactly as instructed for maximum success. It sounds as if your work is not compatible with recovering from hand surgery so will have to take a back seat for some time. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cazxx88
    Options
    Hello,
    Thank you for the response-apologise for the time post sergery psin keeping me up so figured this was a good distraction!

Thank you for your input, im a special case in so far as my life expectancy is reduced anyway because of other health conditions, my surgeon is aware of this but struggles to put it into practise!
    After doing my research im under the impression ill be off work for 3 months but my surgoen said around a month which is just laughable so i wanted guidance from those thqt live eith it

Thank you again
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I'm so sorry to learn you have other medical problems which reduce your life expectancy. One would have thought RA was enough :roll:

I hope you get full benefit from your new knuckles. I've had hips and knees and they've been brilliant.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Cazxx88
    Options
    Thank you for all your help.