Hello from gout sufferer from Belfast

Jimbles
Jimbles Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi all

Just joined this morning. At the weekend I had an episode of gout in my right wrist - very painful!!

I have chronic kidney disease which makes me susceptible to gout. My CKD resulted from cancer surgery and chemotherapy 4/5 years ago.

However, because I cannot take the first line treatments, my GP prescribed a short course of oral prednisolone (steroids) - pain much reduced after 12 hours and after 24 hours no pain, just joint stiffness. I will meet with him again soon to discuss ongoing management by both medication and lifestyles change.

Wishing everyone here a "comfortable"day. James xx

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello
    Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. You will find the members on here are very friendly, will offer you support, advice and will emphasis with you.
    At the top of the page you will see there are buttons which lead you to the various subjects Versus Arthritis covers. If you would at any time, like to speak to someone there is a very good helpline on 0800 520 0520.
    I am one of the moderators and we all have one or more of the
    Arthritis 'hangers on" or care for family members with the same.
    I look forward to reading your future posts.
    Best wishes
    ChrisK
  • Jimbles
    Thanks Chris. James
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, my husband is prone to bouts of your and they are exquisitely painful; I am sorry you are bothered by it too. He is lucky though as a few days of naproxen sorts him out and it's lovely that driving it away is an option. I have other auto-immune nonsense and OA, neither of which is ever going to go away but no matter.

Steroids are lovely when they work but they bring their own troubles so can be rationed in their use; as I am sure you know they do not cure, merely mask, but the relief they offer is always welcome! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jimbles
    Hi DD and thank you for your message.

I am aware of the side effects of steroids - that's why I want to discuss it with my GP and perhaps my nephrologist.

I hope you and your husband are keeping well. James xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi James. I have RA not gout but I have a friend with gout. Well, should I say, I have a friend who had gout until he was prescribed a low daily dose of allopurinol. He's never had an episode since. I don't know whether or not this would be suitable for you. This site (and I can't vouch for its reliability. I just Googled allopurinol and it came up) doesn't seem to give it a thumbs down for people with kidney problems. http://www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-disease/chronic-kidney-disease-ckd/complications/gout/treatments-for-gout/
    I hope it might be of some use.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Jimbles
    Thanks Stickywicket! James