Peripheral neuropathy?

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 11. May 2019, 16:39 in Living with arthritis
The trapeziectomy has focused my attention on my hands and I've been made very aware of the sudden, sharp, stabbing pains I've been getting in my hands and also my feet for some time - worse at night. It's nerve pain - I'm aware of the difference between that and OA pain - and I've been wondering about peripheral neuropathy. I do have fibromyalgia, but this pain seems to be so focused on my hands and feet. I've not seen my GP as yet, but any thoughts would be very welcome.

Meg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    On dear, it's one thing after another, isn't it Megrose? I am sorry, this must be very uncomfortable. As we often say on here we are not medically qualified so I think it best for you to make an appointment with your GP. Many things could be behind this and he is the best placed to advise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you DD. It is very uncomfortable - the pain in my feet woke me last night - so I do know I need to mention it. I'll wait until I get my trapeziectomy stitches out and then make an appointment. Just when I think I'm sorted!

Meg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Meg I have peripheral neuropathy according to the experts. Mine presents as burning feeling occasionally tingling and sometimes shooting pains which will NOT disappear until they are ready to go!

I tried gabapentin years ago and got up to 3600mg a day. Made no difference to me so I didn't bother with pregabalin. Amitriptyline is what I take now.

Your GP might send you for tests to be sure that's what it is.

Love

Toni xx
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Tina. Is your pain in your hands and feet? I sometimes get it down my fingers and on my palms and also around my ankle bone, as well as my toes. There seems to be no one place - entirely random.

At the moment I'm taking 50mg Nortriptyline daily to help with sleep and Fibromyalgia pain, so am wondering if it needs to be raised. Anyway, a trip to the GP seems to be in order - again!

Meg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Foot and leg Meg.

It came after back surgery. It's horrible stops you sleeping :(

Definitely see if the GP can tweak your meds for you ((()))

Take care

Toni xx