Physiotherapist

Options
Marcia
Marcia Member Posts: 84
edited 2. Jun 2019, 08:59 in Living with arthritis
I went to see the Physiotherapist today and have been informed that I can do cycling and water exercise in the hydropool at a steady pace and build up from there.
I have no excuse but to set my goal to goto the gym at least 2 to 3 times a week could be 4 times.
This is another challenge for me.
Yet I will reap.the benefits of being healthier with eating better and exercising.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done for taking the first steps, Marcia. I think everyone loves hydro and cycling is definitely recommended. We recently had someone on here with bad knee pain. He took up cycling and has never looked back.

I'd just caution that you build up gradually. Little and often is best, especially at first. Muscles have to build up strength. Stop when you feel you can still do more. Learn your limits first then, gradually, extend them.

I really hope it helps :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Options
    Hello Marcia.

I've looked back at your posts but am not clear as to what type of arthritis you have or what surgery you underwent so please forgive me if what I say is completely irrelevant.

I have widespread OA and have always benefitted from exercising in water, both to retain muscle power and to encourage increased range of movement after surgery (or injury). I also enjoy cycling on level trails with my husband as another form of low-impact exercise so am pleased you have been encouraged to do the same.

I don't know what warning you have been given about the possibility of increased pain in the early stages but would suggest, as SW has done, that you take pain relief an hour before a workout then begin both water and cycle exercise very gently, stopping before you start to feel too uncomfortable. Nor should you feel obliged to exercise too often at first. Try just twice in the first week and see how that feels. You can build up frequency and intensity gradually even if you begin with ten minutes. 'Listen' to your own body and avoid making comparisons with anyone else - especially if you are surrounded by 'gym-addicts'!

It may take time to identify the best places and times for gentle water exercise and 'spinning' but I do hope you find somewhere that proves enjoyable and helpful for you.
  • Marcia
    Marcia Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hello Crinkly and Stickywicket thank you both for your support which I really appreciate. Yes I will go at a slow pace and twice a week as suggested is a good idea. I have OA and had an infusion operation on my big toe to help me when walking. I looking good forward to go back to work and at the same time I'm not. I will update how it went in my first day back to work.
    Speak soon
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options
    I have been referred to physio twice over the past 10 years or so, on both occasions I was told that there was nothing they could do for me as I am riddled with OA and one actually said that the GP only referred me to cover his backside!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    How disappointing for you, Mike! I'm sorry you seem to have come to physio so late in your arthritis life. For me, it's been a godsend and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't still be walking without it. And, of course, once we stop walking, other problems arrive. Thanks to RA in virtually every joint and OA in most I'd be hopeless without many physio exercises but my quads are the most valuable, I think.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright