Staying mobile

Options
Mike1
Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
edited 23. Jun 2019, 13:18 in Living with arthritis
My GP wants me to stop driving but is leaving it up to me to make the decision ............ so far! So in preparation I have ordered a road legal mobility scooter instead of using my powered wheelchair on the road. How exciting is that!

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    why does your GP want you to stop driving ? , know its not easy & not driven myself for about a year , the scooter looks great & hope you have fun with it
  • Mike1
    Options
    Hi Trepolpen. The reason my GP has advised me to stop driving is that I have to wear a neck support when out and about due to the OA in my neck getting worse and a detached disc (I have installed extra mirrors in my car and the insurers are happy), plus I have Brachialgia in my arms caused by the OA in my spine and Degenerative Facet Joint Disease, plus Sciatica, plus the OA in my hands and wrists prevent me from gripping the steering wheel especially with my left hand, plus Insomnia caused by the pain which he will not give me sleeping pills for (he actually said because I can't work there is no problem having a kip in the afternoon) and I have other problems on top of that!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You will still be driving the scooter but if it means you can still get out and about, do things and see people then hurrah! I have one in the garage, I had to buy a road-worthy model as we have a long gravelled drive and little scooters couldn't cope: I felt very vulnerable on it. I haven't used it in ages as I am still able to use my Citroen but it's a comfort, knowing it's there, for when that time ends. Good luck, I hope you enjoy using it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    if you was seeing a consultant you would be sent to have a car adapting from your use , they are the experts , they do all the conversions to cars to help use keep our independance

as for sleep , if you have sleep apnea DVLA may want to get you checked out , I would not want to give up my independance , the scooter will give you more & allow you to do more things
  • Mike1
    Options
    Hi Dreamdaisy, I suppose I will still be driving after a fashion but I can steer by resting my arms on the handles and only have to use a finger for forward and reverse. I have had a cheap second-hand scooter for a while to get to the village shop so I understand the vulnerability issue but I will put extra reflectors and lights on it and maybe a flag or two to try to make it obvious to drivers. Besides the worst bit will be getting a mile or so down the road to Marazion and then I can pick up the cycle path to go a bit further. Like you say it will enable me to get out and about.

and Trepolpen, thanks for your comments but the Consultants washed their hands years ago, I was discharged from the Pain Clinic as they said there was nothing they could do for me beyond prescribing Morphine which I have now been on for about 9 years; and the Neurosurgeon I was referred to would not operate due to too great a risk of paralysis. I have looked into car adaptations myself but there is nothing that can be done save having one of those driverless cars and you wouldn't get me in one of them!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Marazion? I LOVE Marazion! We holidayed there three years on the trot, 2016,17 and 18; if it wasn't for the damned arthritis I'd move there like a shot. The views of the Mount, having a cuppa at The Seagrove Gallery, chatting to Beetlejuice (probably the loneliest bar fly in Cornwall) and a few pints pints of Tribute in the King's Bits (we can never remember if it's arms or head) and watching the traffic chaos with the badly-placed traffic priority signs. Love it, love it, love it. I suspect, however, I would dislike it in the height of summer, far too many grockles of which I am one. :wink: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    a few pints pints of Tribute
    Love that Freudian typo! Nothing like getting your priorities right.
    Not so sure about the Kings Bits - some of them were pretty manky I suspect.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Don’t forget to register for road use, can be done online and of course you can use the second or higher speed on the road, 8mph! At least you don’t have to fill up with petrol and empty your wallet in doing so. Enjoy the sun!
  • Mike1
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    Don’t forget to register for road use, can be done online and of course you can use the second or higher speed on the road, 8mph! At least you don’t have to fill up with petrol and empty your wallet in doing so. Enjoy the sun!
    The company I am buying it from in Helston are taking care of the legal bit for me, thanks.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I hope you have fun with it, Mike. I've often toyed with the idea of a scooter but my very ancient TKR won't bend enough to get on most and steering's a bit tricky too. A powered wheelchair was suggested but, hey, they're for disabled people :lol: and, besides, to get either in our garage I'd need a new electronic door which might well cost as much as the vehicle.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Mike1

Lovely positive post and I adore the scooter it looks really swish and fun!

Do let us know how you get on :D

Toni x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mike..is this our Mike from a while ago.. :)
    I am so pleased you have the scooter, some people would give in if told not to drive ..but not you..my friend has a road scooter with an hood for rainy days and loves it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Electric seems to be a 'buzzword' nowadays, can you put z canopy with z karge solar oanel on top? It'd save taking it in the garage and plugging it in?
  • Mike1
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:

I don't think so petal, I only joined the forum a couple of months ago.
  • Mike1
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    Electric seems to be a 'buzzword' nowadays, can you put z canopy with z karge solar oanel on top? It'd save taking it in the garage and plugging it in?

I was thinking of just getting a very long extension lead!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Mike1 wrote:
    Airwave! wrote:
    I was thinking of just getting a very long extension lead!
    Apparently this is becoming a problem with those charging cars at home.The pitfalls are obvious, but I suppose until the house electrics fail or there is a fire on the drive, individuals doing this will continue.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Mike1 wrote:
    barbara12 wrote:

I don't think so petal, I only joined the forum a couple of months ago.

Oh sorry..but welcome to the forum form me.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I saw on another forum details of your pain relief - please be careful when out and about driving the scooter because it is nothing like being in a car: you need all your wits about you because one is so vulnerable. DD