Vitamins for immunity - bad idea??

Options
SusiM
SusiM Member Posts: 87
edited 26. Jun 2019, 08:37 in Living with arthritis
Hi guys and gals
Im clutching at straws here trying to figure out what is wrong with me, why lm feeling unexplainably ill.
I saw an add on the net about internal fungus and how it can wreak havoc on the system. The add is selling capsules which are a blend of probiotics designed to boost the immune system so it kills the fungus.
Firstly do you think lm being sucked in to buy a useless gimmick?
Secondly is it a bad idea to take immunity boosters when one has an autoimmune condition? It sounds like a no-brainer but lm not sure if lm supposed to try and help my immunity or leave it well alone??
Much thanks

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The trouble with straw-clutching is they break so the floundering continues. My mother never grasped that the thing which was a force for good in her body was the root cause of all my troubles, she was forever telling me to take zinc tablets to 'make me better'.

Personally I wouldn't bother but I have no trouble with understanding why this has happened and will keep happening to me. Before my diagnosis was confirmed I tried acupuncture, homeopathy, diet yadda yadda yadda and of course nothing worked as nothing affected (let alone reduced) the angry workings of my immune system. Others swear by the abundant fakery and trickery that is out there but in my experience they tend to be the worried well, who have nothing specifically wrong but need to attract the attention and sympathy that ill people can garner. I am in another group, the unworried ill. I do not need sympathy or pity, I was born with crappy genes, others have the crappiness forced upon them thanks to the randomly poisoned gift of life.

Before you embark on anything which is not medically proven, sanctioned or approved, please check with your professional prescribers as interactions are common and not always welcome. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    SusiM wrote:
    Firstly do you think lm being sucked in to buy a useless gimmick?
    Secondly is it a bad idea to take immunity boosters when one has an autoimmune condition?

I'd say 'yes' and 'yes'.

It's the old advertisers' ploy, isn't it? First scare the **** out of people then tell them it's OK as there is a solution which they'll kindly provide you with in exchange for your hard-earned cash. The only 'internal fungus' I can think of is candidiasis which requires far more than a few vitamins and probiotics chucked at it. Even thrush needs antibios.

The NHS reckons that the average person who eats a healthy diet has no need of supplements. Save your money and, if you think you have a fungal problem, see your doc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • SusiM
    SusiM Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Thankyou both for your good advice. Ive been thinking along the same lines, that its prob just a waste of money and l dont have much to waste. Ive decided to incorporate some fermented foods into my diet like kefir and do a big internal clean-up in case l do have candida. Although l think even kefir needs to be run by the doctor :roll:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    The thing about foods, as opposed to pills, is that foods can rarely do any damage as we can't eat them in sufficient quantity whereas pills can contain much higher , condensed doses.

I think, with probiotic foods, the jury is still out though it might be one to watch for the future.

If you have plenty of time and a good dictionary :wink: this article might be of interest https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6213508/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Homemade yoghurt works for me, body is in full working order (ish😊) and and this is a big thing for me, I haven't had a cold for 15 months now when it used to be every three weeks or so and I still gets lots of contact with the GC.

If your diet is correct then any additional supplementary pills are a waste of money and will only act as placebos.