New member! Hi!

TomLang1985
TomLang1985 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hey...just posting as I have arthritis at the age of 34 after a football injury. Wanted to reach out to other sufferers really. It gets me down each morning when I can't even carry my 2 year old down the stairs and dread the first step out of bed.
:)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tom and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forums.

So sorry to hear you have a diagnosis of arthritis, a disease which is not restricted by age in spite of the stereotypical presentations of it affecting just older people :o

The website contains a wealth of helpful information including managing from day-to-day, exercise, diet, sleeping and emotional well-being. This may be a good place to start:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/

The forum is a great place to ask questions and if you need to talk to someone in complete confidence, then there are the free Helplines on 0800 5200 520 (Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm)

I look forward to reading your posts and do tell us how you are getting on - its great to "unload" to people who really do understand what its like! :D

Best wishes
    Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,689
    Hi Tom and welcome aboard.

I got RA at 15 so, later, had the problem of reconciling it with children. What you have to remember is that they just want you, however you come. You mightn't be able to do the things you want to do with them but, as long as you have fun in other ways, that's all that matters to them long term. Mine are grown up now with kids of their own and we still all have fun together.

As regards getting out of bed - it might help to do some exercises before you even try. Quads are the best for knee arthritis and they do make a difference. Do you cycle or swim? Both are also good.

As for getting downstairs - no, don't try carrying the little one but do try coming down backwards. One step at a time and bad leg first. (Go up good leg first.)

Sorry, I have to go now but just ask away if you have questions and / or join in anywhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I presume you mean osteoarthritis? I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips as a result of my other arthritis which began when I was 37 (I am now 60) and know exactly what you mean about dreading the first step! I decided against having children 'cos I knew what I would be passing on so cannot help on that front.

What has your GP recommended or prescribed? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SusiM
    SusiM Member Posts: 87
    Hi
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It can be hard to accept and definitely hard to adjust to. Ive recently been diagnosed with an autoimmune arthritis and lm still adjusting to not being able to do the things l want to do. What sort of arthritis do you have? Have you started treatment? I dont have kids but l sympathize with you that you want to do things with your child that your body cant tolerate. But youre here right? And thats the main thing. Your child still gets to wake up and see you every day and be loved by you and spend time with you. Thats whats important.
    Best wishes