My local MP

Options
Marcia
Marcia Member Posts: 84
edited 1. Jul 2019, 14:56 in Living with arthritis
Hi everyone
I email my local MP in regards to there not being any groups or support for people in the Borough with Arthritis. low and behold I got a response from my local MP which was a very positive feed back. She had mentioned Versus Arthritis in her email and that she has written to the Chair of Southwark Clinical Commissioning Group and the Councillor of Southwark Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Public Health to ask what support is available locally for people who suffer from Arthritis and that she will be back in touch with me when she get a response.
I am very excited that I had a look on the forum to see what the webmaster had written and because it was suggested to contact our local MP, I did that and it paid off.
I will let you all know what the outcome is when my local MP get back in touch with me.
:D

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done and I hope you will be able to take on the challenge of making any local support group part of your life. Support has to be constant, it's not a dip-in-and-dip-out-all-about-me thing but many treat forums and groups in that way.
    It's the drains and radiators again . . . . . the drains outnumber the radiators and always will. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi DD
    I really do not know what to say to your last response as I am not sure what you mean by dip-in-and-dip-out all about me. I was sharing how I got in touch with my local MP and what she was intending to do as I had stated to her there is nothing in my community or my borough to support people with Arthritis. My local MP is aware of Versus Arthritis and praises the work that Versus Arthritis does. We all have commitments but we do what we can to support others in the best way that we can. My apology for the misunderstanding. I was just rejoicing that feedback from my local MP.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Having been round the local government block a few times over the years I think your MP was neatly briefed so she could craft a relevant reply. I hope that something more will come from it but there are three major difficulties: cost, location/s and staffing.

Our disease is far too common to engender any meaningful governmental support (apart from the NHS) which is why it's in charities' hands. VA is to be congratulated for the steps they are taking to raise the general profile of the disease (I may not like how they are portraying living with the condition but at least they're giving it a go) and this forum is unique which is why we have people joining from all over the world, in my time on here I've chatted with Americans, Canadians, Norwegians, Australians, Europe generally and people from parts of Asia.

Sudden thought: have you thought about contacting your local hospital's orthopaedic department to see if they do anything? My rheumatology department runs a group for those with RA etc., but orthopaedics doesn't. Yours might, though. DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hi Marcia. I'm glad you had a positive response from your MP, and I hope something comes of it.
    Expanding a bit on what DD was saying, the existence of such a group depends on the members continuing to use it, although external factors such as problems with meeting places can affect survival. A VA group has recently been started in my town, but there has already been quite a high turnover and I don't know whether or for how long it will continue. It's possible that for some of the first participants they decided the group didn't offer what they wanted - but without feedback it's difficult to know and equally difficult to address whether their needs/expectations can be met.The county organiser has set up several groups in the last year in response to requests or suggestions, but some have already run down or have very low interest shown in terms of regular members.
    You do have the advantages where you are of a bigger pool of potential users, a public transport system, and higher density of related facilities such as hospitals.
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi DD
    Your last input in regards to me contacting my MP I copied what you had sent on the forum and sent it to her, she agreed 100% and stated that she will update me on any news that she gets.
    I will put on the forum her response when I hear from her.
    I think the email sent to my MP has made impact.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Marcia, have you completed the survey that VA is running about local support? As they cover the whole country provision is a challenge. DD
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Where would I find the survey?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The thread title is summat like Help Shape VA in Your Area and is at the top of every board. DD
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi DD
    Thanks
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi DD
    I had a look at theach forum your talking and my Borough is not on the list.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    VA is trying to raise the profile of the disease and that takes time, planning, resources and committment. Completing the survey is one way to help them achieve that. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I think you two are talking about different surveys. There are two there. I found the one that is open to all pretty well impenetrable.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Completely my fault as I named the wrong one - you can see my name on the thread I answered just underneath so I claim that as my saving grace! Both are listed at the top of every forum but that doesn't mean that people will spot them. My apologies, Marcia.