Well Being

Options
Marcia
Marcia Member Posts: 84
edited 13. Jul 2019, 04:57 in Living with arthritis
Hello
I went to the gym on Monday and I had a great time in the hydro pool. It was really good and I felt good when I got home and rested very well.
I have been making an effort to eat health regularly and make health smoothies.
The noise from my neighbour above has improved where it is not as loud as before and going on very late in the evening. However I have informed my housing officer of this and stated my concern for the six weeks holiday if things will get worse at that time or the parents will have the children at their routine bedtime.
I am pressing on to complete my course which has been a struggle for me because of my Arthritis and felling very tired in the evening and just not having the motivation to da anything. However; I met someone on a training Course I attended and she has offered to Coach me for free to help me to complete my course and to have a balance. I got very emotional with the offer and yet I am so grateful for that extra support to help build my confidence.
I am due to start my first session in a weeks time.
:)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You're doing really well, Marcia and making good progress which you've worked hard for.

I, too, hope the noise levels remain more muted during the school holidays but I think the hope that the children won't be staying up longer is possibly a bit unrealistic. Most parents allow their kids another hour during holidays but, with luck, it will be a quiet hour.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket
    Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.
    Yes I am trying.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Keep up the good work - the stronger your muscles the better they will support the joint/s. Remember a little and often is the way to go. I've bought some ankle weights to wear when I do my daily physio exercises - I must take them out of the box. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I took them out of the box and have used them but was a little too adventurous: I did my usual exercises wearing the weights on consecutive days because after the first day everything felt fine. Idiot Daisy. :lol: I shall rest to recover then use them on alternate days. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi DD
    Your not an idiot.
    Thank you for reminding me about the weights. I think mine is wrist weights.
    Incidently, I went to the hydropool again today, it was wonderful. Tomorrow I will give myself a break and might go aging on Wednesday or Thursday. I still ending going to bed late when I would like to go to bed early some days because of my neighbour above me. However the time I got home it was quiet which I am very pleased and grateful for until the next episode.
    I am thinking of sending my MP an email in regards to the Council not supporting me enough. I hope when I contact her I will get some extra dirt if support. It's really difficult.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You're clearly doing very well on the exercise front and taking it sensibly which will help you to maintain your progress.

I'm wondering what kind of support you'd like from your council. It sounds as if their intervention with the neighbour about the noise has had some success so the neighbour is trying. Do you see her(?) at all? If so, perhaps you could compliment her when the children have been quiet. That might encourage her.
    Steven Wright
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket
    Well the quietness did not last for long. She now has the children bouncing a ball from afternoon to early evening sometimes later evening. I don't know what support I can get from the Council. I'm at my worst end, I have come to the conclusion that the Council don't care just line the woman with her children.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Marcia, these sorts of issues have always been problematic for councils to deal with and unfortunately the current financial difficulties make this another 'austerity casualty', with the council having too many cases and not enough staff to deal with noise/antisocial behaviour.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It must be hard for you. Unfortunately, daffy is right. Councils are just too overstretched to deal with what are minor things for them.

I wonder if there is a safe play area where you live. I would certainly not have allowed my children to play outside where there was traffic or potential drug dealers or violence. And the thought of keeping small boys quiet all day would fill me with dread. My son once lived in a partitioned house and he put up some insulating material which considerably reduced the noise. Might this be possible?
    Steven Wright
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I know that the Council are short staffed and that it is difficult. However I think if I keep on trying and keep emailing them they will have to do something. I have been doing just that. Paper trail is important and evidence, my own well being and health is just as important as the next person. Another example that there are times when I don't feel like doing any house work cleaning but then I push and said no if it is just a little that I can do I have achieve something.
    I had to end up reminding the Council to send a strong letter to the tenant as the housing officer had already stated that one would be sent. I then got an apology from the Area Housing Officer and had been informed that a letter will be sent to the tenant. So again it is to keep on trying until there is results.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You are clearly not someone to give up easily, Marcia, and that attitude must be great in helping you deal with arthritis.
    Steven Wright
  • Marcia
    Options
    Hi all
    Fantastic news.
    My MP got in touch with me and requested some details which I have forwarded.
    My Housing Officer got on touch with me this week and had sent out a strong letter to the tenant. So far fthere has not been any loud banging or jumping.
    However I know that I can contact my Housing Officer if things has not changed and also contact my local MP.
    Living with arthritis and getting very tired for me I like to know that I can get peace and quiet in my home when I need to rest.
    I am grateful for the support from my Housing Officer but I was determine for things to change and for me to be able to relax in my own home.
    If a TV first you don't succeed try and try again until you do :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Wow, Marcia! What brilliant results! I think the government could use you :D You've done amazingly well and deserve your success.
    Steven Wright
  • Marcia
    Options
    Thanks Stickywicket
    I have to pinch myself that finally I got results and
    peace and quiet in my home that I can have my dinner in peace and relax before I go to bed.
    I spoke to my GP today about an OT coming to assess me as I need support in the bathroom and handrail at my door to go in and out.
    Let see what happens.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Marcia, round here (Scottish Borders) we have a scheme for the elderly and disabled by which we pay £40 a year and can then get lots of odd jobs done free. Over my three years here I've had a grab rail fitted, a mirror hung and a washing line fixed to the side of the house. A friend tells me a similar scheme operates where she lives in Lancashire. It might be worth enquiring where you live.
    Steven Wright