Losing my way

Options
minnie18
minnie18 Member Posts: 8
edited 26. Jun 2019, 11:07 in Living with arthritis
Not written anything in so long...
I've been doing well (so I thought) and now for the past couple of weeks I've had a some sort of flare up With what feels like a different body part almost every day, I take the meds, I take the pain killers, I try to stay active but being tired and aching I have no motivation by the time I've finished work! Is it true that stress can play havoc with RA?? I'm currently grieving over a family member?? Could this be the cause of my daily pain?? Is it time to join the que to try and see a rheumatology nurse?? I feel so overwhelmed because I feel like I know nothing.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Auto-immune arthritis can respond to stress by flaring and I am not sure that rheumatologists etc. can do anything to help matters; I think we just have to ride out the storm. Rest as much as you can, do not push yourself when there is no need. Be as kind to your body as you can be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Modern thinking says that painkillers will only be affective for a very short time, thereafter their effectiveness decreases rapidly which even with stronger ones you need to take more for them to work. Not a recommended action.

I asked why doctors still prescribe them, the reply was that not all doctors have done the course yet, wow! I stopped taking mine about four years ago when they didn't work and the result is 'no change' arther still hurts but I find it easier to deal with. Gentle (ish) exercise, a reordered lifestyle, mindfulness and saying 'No' to many things become a way of life, in short.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It's definitely true about stress, Minnie, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't know whether ringing the helpline would actually help or not. It's worth a try but it could be that your bloods are fine, the meds are working and it's simply your stress and hurt that is making you perceive the pain more keenly.

Might it be worth asking your GP if a short course of anti-depressants would help?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    When you're under stress your body produces a drug called Cortisol, after a time you overdose on it and it continues to have an effect on your body. This involves many systems in the human being and often adversely affects things like the liver and kidney functions amongst others, often why we start to feel 'unwell', the organs are put at a disadvantage when trying to do their normal work.

We must work hard at relieving ourselves of stress, live with positive thoughts and actions, ones that we enjoy and can push the negative feelings aside, they are afterall, just thoughts.

Phew, how to live life in a few sentences! There is a lot more to this but in a very brief nutshell that is it.