How do l know if my meds are working

Options
SusiM
SusiM Member Posts: 87
edited 27. Jun 2019, 18:23 in Living with arthritis
I'm due to see my rheumatologist soon and I'm not sure what to tell them. I've been on plaquenil for 2 months so not sure if it's too early to say. My hands and feet are a bit better but my hips, shoulders, wrists and ankles are very sore especially at night. I don't know how much pain is normal whilst on meds. I don't want to give up on the plaquenil if it's too early to say. My bloods had only one indicator a little high so that's not a good measure. How much pain can one expect even with meds working?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Any of the meds I have taken have never reduced the pain to zero, let alone to 50% and that includes the pain medication. I know they're working because my bloods read well. Those for whom that has happened don't look for a forum because that, for them, is what arthritis is like so they are not here to cheer you along with their experience. I think things hurt more at night because I have been busy during the day and night time is quiet thus making any kind of discomfort more prominent.

I have never been efficiently treated by one medication alone for my auto-immune arthritis and probably never will.

I don't know how much pain is normal for someone in my circumstances - after all any kind of arthritis is a painful condition and always will be- but as far as I am concerned it is too much. Suck it up, Daisy, it is what it is.

Pain is a very individual matter: one man's mild twinge has another hanging around on street corners buying fentanyl. Males perceive it more keenly as they have more pain receptors then females, no-one has a high pain level, they merely have inefficient neural receptors. If your inflammatory markers are being kept to lower figures then that shows the planq is working but, as you've opted for a mild drug, you will only gain mild relief. The longer you leave taking the stronger meds the less they will achieve because the joint damage will be done and it will all still hurt because arthritis does. I know that from experience but, unlike you, I am used to a medicated life so for me it's no big deal.

I am sorry that those for whom things are OK despite being on methotrexate etc. are not present in the forum but why in earth would they be? This is the downside of support forums, they're begun by those in trouble and are not necessarily the best places for those who are in their early days of similar trouble. We're battle-hardened veterans of the meds game and forever trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation is debilitating in itself. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    In my experience, we don't tell them: they tell us. I've been told my meds need upping when I've felt fine and I've been told the meds are working well when in severe pain. In my book, pain is irrelevant. The GP deals with it - or not as the case may be :roll: The bloods are what count. I hope you feel OK with the appointment. Please let us know the outcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • SusiM
    SusiM Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I thought that was the case - that they would assess according to bloods but mine is not a good indicator so l don't know how they're going to figure it out. My shoulders and hips are in huge pain at night when l sleep on them. I try sleeping on my back but my tummy hurts so it's tossing and waking up all night. I can't believe how quickly l have deteriorated. My joints are now in bad shape and l can't wait for my rheumatologist appointment.