Sticky for the top of page

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 2. Jul 2019, 17:48 in Living with arthritis
Hey, yahoo mods!

What about a new sticky at the top, twenty quick answers to arther or similar, all as brief as possible, just to help swiftly deal with easy to solve questions. With each new arther asking similar questions even though their affliction is different, we often don't answer fully or at all and they don't search, they might not be so puter literate? Pain is the main cause of concern.

If newbies get an easy answer they might be tempted to come here more often.

Just a thought.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Airwave
    OOO I like your thinking!! yes indeed if you want to start it off that sounds brilliant
    Sharon m0150
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    FAQs ?
  • Airwave!
    1. Heat stops pain, a hot water bottle, wheat bag or heated pouch applied over the pain will assist, keep using it. Or cold will stop the swelling.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I would love to believe that this would work. I think we all get tired and stale when typing out similar answers over and over again.

I do think it'd need very careful thinking and presentation. Daffy's idea of FAQ is a good one but I think Airwave actually intended each individual member to add a post, on a sticky thread. The latter would be simpler to organise but harder for someone to access the info needed. FAQ, if clearly presented, would make it easier to access info needed but a lot of work on the part of Mods / Webmanager to gather each individual's answers into the relevant question.

Many frequent questions are actually already well-answered by the menu(s) at the top but the questions show that most people either don't use them or want a personal answer. It'll be interesting to see what ideas crop up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    I'll go with whatever works for the forum. Perhaps we could get the web designer to copy and paste the replies into a easy to use format?

I'm just off on hols so fill yer boots.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    This is a good idea but I wonder how many people would bother to read a sticky like that. Again and again we have to tell people about the stickies that already exist because we live in a spoon-feed culture. People want the information relevant to them NOW without the bother of having to find it out for themselves by trawling through a twenty-plus-page thread.

Sometimes it is very hard to remember that for every new person who posts this malarkey is new to them. Just pointing people to a sticky isn't that warm or welcoming, is it? Arthritis in a nutshell is easy but not encouraging. DD

PS. Have a lovely holiday, Airwave!, you deserve it.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    Appreciate some of the replies so far... as pointed out, this is a much trickier job than you would first think.

Couple of quick points:

1. People don't read what's on a web site page - they scan it, looking for the information they came for. If they don't see a link or heading to catch their eye, they leave again.

2. There's a linked principle in web design called "Don't Make Me Think" - a whole book was written about common sense "web design and usability" that says successful sites should be simple and straightforward.

Given some site layouts, the designers should be ashamed!

As we are all too aware, finding informations on forums is not a simple straightforward task :)

One idea to get people to read things / click a link for more info is to make them a "feature" in some way. On the current forum design, it might be best to have the FAQ as a separate board on its own, at the top above "Say Hello".

How about

"Twenty Ways To Relief From Arthur"
    - a quick FAQ to check before you post?

Other catchy titles would probably be more suitable :D

Brynmor
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Bryn
    My initial reaction to the title suggestion(Twenty Ways To Relief From Arthur) is 'No' as it raises false hope - sounds rather like the adverts we're always cautioning newbies about! Also, the use of Arthur instead of arthritis can be divisive and is perhaps best avoided at the intro stage for new visitors to the Forum?
    I'm getting ready for work just now but I'll have a think about more constructive feedback, but possibly keep it simple - "[a number to be decided - no more than 10?]]FAQ about arthritis". It could include link/s to the main VA site at appropriate points.
    The problem about folks not reading things is frustrating and something I come up against at work a lot with the visitors but, for the sake of those who do bother, the info/option needs to be there.
  • dreamdaisy
    I have never understood the need to anthropomorphise this vile disease. It makes it sound friendly and gentle - Hey! My name's Arthur and I've come to play!' It belittles our pain, frustration, distress and exhaustion.

As every newbie who has posted since this idea was raised has shown, no-one wants to read to find out. I've just replied to one on LWA about changing from humira to imraldi:. I've bumped up my thread about the very same thing in case they come back. They probably won't read it though because it's about me, not them. :lol: DD
  • [Deleted User]
    OK, point taken...
    Other catchy titles would probably be more suitable.

Rather than a "Sticky Post" within each of the Message Boards, why not have the FAQ as a Board on its own? As well as the FAQ the new board could host the other Sticky Posts (or links to them) found in the other Boards?

New board members: what do you think would be the best way to signpost things that regularly appear on the forums?

Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    moderator wrote:
    1. People don't read what's on a web site page - they scan it, looking for the information they came for. If they don't see a link or heading to catch their eye, they leave again.

2. There's a linked principle in web design called "Don't Make Me Think" -

Brynmor, I love that. Especially as I came to it after giving up on a website that was slower to load than I am to walk to the door when the bell rings.

I also like the idea of a FAQ board. In addition to links to relevant stickies, maybe it could also have links to the relevant info from VA itself as most of what we're asked is there if we just have the willpower to plough through a dull, semi-conspicuous menu board with no sub-menus when we hover over each topic.

Mind you, I've been trying to think which other regular questions would lend themselves to this treatment and I can't think of many. 'Vitamins and supplements', maybe. Possibly, some positive threads on 'popular' operations – especially trapeziectomy, please, as it seems to attract more queries than any other. Also 'inflammatory arthritis, babies and meds'. These questions invariably seem to be left to me (had my kids after 10 years of RA with no DMARDS) and DD who hasn't even had children. We are not the best to answer as I'm sure DD will agree.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Any forum is dependent on the kindness of strangers and our pool is dwindling.

People are probably confronting for the first time that they have a condition that cannot be cured, only briefly and slightly eased. OK, it's slightly different for oa-ers if they have it in a limited number of joints and for whom surgery is a successful option but they, naturally enough, see no need to hang around once they're fixed to encourage new people facing the prospect of surgery (or answer their questions during the long wait until they reach a suitable age). Like it or not this forum is skewed because those who are doing well on the meds and / or have had successful surgery don't need to be in a place of misery and woe. I'm doing OK on the meds but the quality of my life is nowhere near what it was and today is probably better than tomorrow will be. It's hard work being cheerful and upbeat and I am feeling less and less like making the effort.

FAQs is a thought but as very few Qs have positive As it will be hard to phrase kindly. DD
  • SusiM
    SusiM Member Posts: 87
    Firstly reading through your posts l just realised how tiring and kinda boring it must be for you guys to keep repeating yourselves and replying to every new post. It's so kind of you guys to continue caring for newcomers. As a newbie myself l can tell you your input is invaluable.

I agree that a sticky is not the best idea as you have to trowel through posts to find what's relevant.
    I think it needs to be sectioned with headings people can scan and find what they're looking for. That's how l have used this forum - by scanning post headings to find anything related to me. The best idea l have heard so far is the Arthritis FAQ section. You guys know exactly what needs to go in there. I know that lm always drawn to FAQ. It's easy and quick and with well-thought out headings newbies could have easy access to the most popular concerns.
    In saying this l think sometimes newbies want to hear it from the horse's mouth and they will post similar questions regardless but l know that l would definitely have used an FAQ section. It just needs to be well thought out and written.